Why Yale? What influenced your decision to apply?

ivyaspirer 3 / 5 1  
The question obviously is what particular about Yale that influenced your decision to apply?

I have written 2 responses for it:

1. I want to go to Yale because I wish to achieve both academically and socially. Yale has a long-standing reputation of education quality, offering its students profound knowledge in a diverse range of subjects. But what makes Yale unique is the sense of community and the scope of personal growth that students here achieve. As a Yalie, I wish to immerse myself in social experiences at the residential colleges, amongst extraordinary and diverse yet like-minded and embracing student body. The extracurricular activities including A Capella and science societies, which enrich my university life, are those I look forward to explore.

or

2. There are many reason for my desire to get to Yale. But what lies above all is the level of both academic excellence and personal growth, the two most important life aspects, I hope to achieve. Yale, with erudite professors and its extensive resources will provide me with profound knowledge and understanding in Chemistry, my desired major. Moreover, I want to immerse myself in the great social circle that Yale will provide. The social experience of living in the residential college and finding myself surrounded by extraordinary yet like-minded peers is something I wish attain in my academic pursuit.

I hope you guys maybe can tell me which one you like better as a response for this question, or neither is good and make any suggestions, they'll be of great help.

Thank you very much.
admission2012 - / 477 90  
This is a very bland response to this question that will not earn you much respect with the adcom. This question is asking you why Yale and not any other school? All of the attributes you listed here can easily be found at any other decent university. So the question remains...Why Yale??? Admissions Advice Online
OP ivyaspirer 3 / 5 1  
Thank you very much. I'll try to work on it and repost.
OP ivyaspirer 3 / 5 1  
I tried to work it through so here's the rewritten one

I want to go to Yale because I want to be a doctor. Yale undoubtedly provides its students with brilliant education. Beyond that, through Yale's extensive medical programs like SMDEP and BioSTEP are unique opportunities, where I can both gain experience and further my knowledge for my desired career. Furthermore, my love for Yale also lies in it amazing social experience, uncompromised by academic striving. I hope to find myself surrounded by extraordinary yet embracing peers whom I can both contribute to and learn from. I know only at Yale will I be fully equipped to pursue my medical career.

I know the social experience is rather vague and general but I want to emphasize that unlike other prestigious colleges where there is an intense stress in academic striving, Yale's community balances both the social and academic factors because that truly what I love about Yale.

If there is still something wrong or missing please just leave your suggestions.

Thank you very much.

Home / Undergraduate / Why Yale? What influenced your decision to apply?