Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

Yale Supplement - "Masters Teas", "Short Takes", "Family Dinner" (Deadline: 31st December)

akshay1996 5 / 11  
1.) What in particular about Yale has influenced your decision to apply? (Please answer in 100 words or less.)

Just as I have unlocked doors with "Yale" branded locks, I wish to unlock the doors to Yale's broad curriculum, to explore the economic aspects of health disciplines that Yale endorses. I am keen to immerse myself in these foci by attending Morse College's "Master's Teas". My thirst for studying Asian languages has led me to seek instruction in a multicultural, historically rich environment. Yale's magnificent, acid washed, gothic façade of Medieval - Middle Eastern architecture, its orange fall foliage and its strength in Chinese will provide ample opportunity for me to thrive academically and socially. Words: 95

2.) Please respond in 150 characters (roughly 25 words) or fewer to each of the questions below:

a. You have been granted a free weekend next month. How will you spend it?

I'd spend Saturday reading one of my favorite Khaled Hosseini novels and chatting with parents and friends over tea. Sunday would entail karate training and watching some high action Indian crime thrillers

b. What is something about which you have changed your mind in the last three years?

Science. Initially presuming it was purely factual, I now know it requires years of debate to establish a theory - arguing which I'm definitely interested in doing.

c. What is the best piece of advice you have received while in high school?

"Smile. Nod. Then do whatever the hell you were going to do in the first place"

d. What do you wish you were better at being or doing?

I aspire to be a better sportsman. Had I been more athletic, I probably would have had a more solid grasp on the concept of being team player.

e. What is a learning experience, in or out of the classroom, that has had a significant impact on you?

Three English teachers in three consecutive years telling me I was too verbose. It made me reconsider my approach to writing.

1E). In this essay, please reflect on something you would like us to know about you that we might not learn from the rest of your application, or on something about which you would like to say more. You may write about anything-from personal experiences or interests to intellectual pursuits. (Please answer in 500 words or less.)

A cool breeze flows through the flaky, white window grill and the crickets are already chirping. I look up from my Chemistry homework.

8pm. Dinnertime.

My helper ushers me out of the room as I struggle under the weight of my books. We both know what's coming. "Akshay, get your books off the table. It's time for dinner" yells my Mom from inside.

I help set up the plates as my helper stacks piles of familiar, steaming vegetables onto the table. My Dad's just arrived at the table. We both sit down. Sort of take a second to soak in the moment. Size each other up. He lowers his voice and twitches his eyebrows, narrowing his eyes at me.

"Fun-tastic!"

I berate him on the lame pun but I can't stop myself from smiling. We share a little light hearted moment and then my Mom arrives. "Let's eat!" she says giving me a beaming smile. My Dad tries a sneak attack on the salted cashews at the table but she's predicted his moves days before. My Dad has his hand slapped away before he even has a chance.

We're all finally at the table. My helper brings in hot chappatis (baked Indian flatbread) and I grumble as I get an extra serving of butter on my chappati. "Are you on a diet or something? Eat!" insists my mother.

My Father, meanwhile, launches into his corny jokes. "x wants kaju (cashews)". My Mother gives him the Oh you wish look and turns to me to ask about school. I'm fairly quiet. Mainly because I'm eager to catch anything funny that might happen. My Mom stops. "Hang on! Let me tell x about that cheap joke!" and texts the joke to my sister in Sydney. Almost instantaneously, the room fills with loud beeps as my sister responds to the joke with a flurry of emojis rolling their eyes. Yes, we really fit that 21st century dining lifestyle.

Mom notices the clock. 8:30. "Oh my god. My show's about to start! Turn on the tv! Quick". The tv begins humming and a picture of a young 25 year old girl bedecked in jewels and citrus, orange fabric flashes across the screen. She goes to the hospital, to the bathroom, to the garden wearing all of that - unrealistic but then again that's what makes Indian television shows interesting.

It's a fun family bonding experience for me. Of course I'm far more absorbed by the furrow eyebrowed Inspector ACP Pradyuman who dazzles the screen with his ace crime solving techniques every Saturday evening, but I've found that men and women with slightly constipated faces and the accompanying ominous background music actually make for an animated narrative.

9pm. My mom unglues her eyes from the tv and glares at me sternly - ". Off to study young man. And put away your plate." I sigh. I have to pry my eyes off the quasi-disaster of a family betrayal that's just taken place onscreen.

Just another average dinner.

Home / Undergraduate / Yale Supplement - "Masters Teas", "Short Takes", "Family Dinner" (Deadline: 31st December)