YALE UNIVERSITY - Should I apply?

rmarquez 3 / 5 1  
Hi, I'm a Filipino senior looking to apply to Yale University. Everything about the school appeals to me, from its history and residential college system to the academics and the fact that the first week of classes can be spent sitting in on whatever interests you. Needless to say, Yale is as elite and competitive as institutions of higher learning get. I'm trying to weigh my chances and convince my private counselors to let me apply. Here are some details about me.

Intended course(s) of study: something along the lines of Environmental Science or Molecular Biology, and Philosophy

SAT: I'm taking it on November 5, and I'm aiming for 1500+

Member of the honors class since 9th Grade
- advanced core curriculum of Math, Science, English, and Social Studies

Member of the Special Science class since 10th Grade
- accelerated study of Biology, Chemistry, and Physics
- one of 18 students selected after competitive screening process (out of around 100 applicants)
- highest level of scientific rigor in the school
- we have more requirements like an individual portfolio and we use college-level textbooks

Numerical average (from 9th Grade to 11th Grade): 91 / 100, meaning I'm a B+ student by my school's system and an A- by US standards. 3.2 unweighted GPA in my school, 3.7 unweighted GPA in the US.

Extra-curricular activities:
1) Ateneo StudentLink Center (12th Grade)
Co-founder and Director
- Designed and launched program to connect 1200+ students to Filipino corporations and NGOs to facilitate networking for internships and volunteer opportunities
- Worked closely with school administration and third parties to set up program infrastructure and mechanics
- Launched website where students could find information about employers and sign up for work opportunities (ateneostudentlink.com)

2) Sustainability Week (12th Grade)
Organizer
- Arranged event to raise environmental awareness and advocate sustainability among Ateneo high school students
- Invited thought leaders and environmentalists to speak about environmental issues and to encourage students to get involved in volunteer work
- Helped organizations set up booths to showcase products and facilitate information sharing

3) Upbeat Fundraising Concert (11th Grade)
Event Finance Head
- Worked with core committee of five to organize a concert for over 600 attendees
- Raised and managed around USD6000 for Typhoon Haiyan victims and Ateneo scholars
- Received Best in Financial Management Award for efforts

4) International Rice Research Institute (10th Grade)
Delegate
- One of 20 student delegates from the Ateneo
- Learned about the role of agriculture in Philippine history and economy
- Observed research techniques and helped local farmers plant experimental crops

WORK EXPERIENCE
1) Reef Check Conservation Program, Inc., Philippines
Intern and Brand Ambassador
- Learned to identify hard and soft corals, indicator species, and quantitatively assess reef health and biodiversity
- Worked with Dr. Wilfredo Licuanan to develop modules for high school students to promote environmental awareness and careers in science - Conducted educational outreach program and environmental awareness workshop for middle school students at the Holistic Education and Development Center (HEDCen)

2) Tulong Dunong Education Outreach
Academic Tutor
- Prepared lesson plans, course material, and worksheets for weekly tutoring sessions
- Taught English to nine 6th Grade public school students at Fortune Elementary

My first semester senior grades dropped because of college preparations, SAT studying, and extra-curriculars. I'm planning to up the ante this second semester. Hopefully the drop won't be too much of an issue in admissions officers' eyes?

Considering my credentials and my vested interest in Yale, should I apply, and if I do, how are my chances? Note that I am a non-legacy applicant and Yale admits between 20% - 25% of legacy applicants yearly.
Rafael, you might just be one of the lucky few to gain admission to Yale from your country. Considering that during the 2014-2015 admission cycle, the university accepted 6 Filipinos for regular admission and awarded one scholarship to the same nationality, I would say that you have a pretty good chance at admission.

Based upon your Cornell application, I believe that you can secure the necessary teacher's recommendations and career counselor recommendation to help the admissions committee consider your application. Indeed, legacy applicants practically have their slots assured from birth. That doesn't make them a better student than you.

If I were your college counselor, I would encourage your application based upon the merits of your student record. You have a competitive list of credentials. If what you are saying about your grade status is true, and you can do well in the SAT's by delivering the Yale required score, then you should feel confident that your application will get the attention and consideration it deserves in comparison with the other applicants. Do your best to deliver on the Yale specific requirements and then wait and see regarding what comes next for you in your quest for Yale admission.

My opinion is that you should go for it. Don't turn this into a "what if" scenario for you. Go ahead and find out the answer to the question. The answer just might surprise you.

Home / Undergraduate / YALE UNIVERSITY - Should I apply?