Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

Year of track and field (nursing my injury) - Common App

JeremiahD 1 / -  
Recount an incident or time when you experienced failure. How did it affect you, and what lessons did you learn?

Failure is known as lack of success or failing to succeed in an expected action. Many people may view failure as a negative aspect; but I believe that failure can allow one to improve as a person. I like many others have experienced failure but I have not allowed this to affect my spirits. The great Nelson Mandela once said "The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling but rising every time we fall." I have used this quote to improve my work ethic and become the person that I am today.

During my freshman year of high school I was ecstatic about starting my high school track career; and I excited about meeting my teammates. However, since I performed so well during middle school track I did not believe that I would have to do any off season preparation before the actual season started. My hubris allowed me to believe that I was the best of the best; and that I would be able to obtain a varsity letter without even bothering to do any conditioning.

Unfortunately, once the track season started things were not easy like I had anticipated it to be. The first practice seemed like the most physically demanding activity that I have ever participated in. My muscles were extremely sore after that practice; and after that it seemed like practice was getting even more onerous and formidable. Eventually I found myself sitting on the bench instead of the track because I ended up getting knee tendonitis; and a sprained ankle which prevented me from doing track for a month. The season was not only taking a physical toll; but a mental toll on me as well. I felt as if I not only failed myself; but my teammates as well and the coach. However, at the same time this failure was humbling and I was able to realize that it takes practice to become the best; but first I would have to nurse my injury.

In order to nurse my injury, the doctor stated that physical therapy would be necessary; and I would have to do it for an entire month. In all honesty, at first I was hesitant to do physical therapy but deep down I knew it was for the better in the long run. Before my time of recuperation I was certain that my high school track career was a failure; and that it wasn't for me but during my time of recovery I began to feel resolve I wanted to return to the team. Prior to returning to the team, I was able to raise my grades that began to sink during the track season; and I was able to mentally prepare myself for the season. By the time I returned to the track team there was a notable improvement and I was in better condition than I was in before. However, I knew that it would be quite some time before I was in the condition that I wanted to be in I would have to approach things gradually.

My freshman year of track and field was a failure because I was cocky and stubborn. This failure not only affected myself; but also my teammates and coach because I was not able to work at the best of my abilities. Nevertheless, my freshman year of track also helped me improve as a person I was able to realize that nothing in life comes early; and that you have to work hard in order to get what you truly want. In addition, I was able to realize that you must approach things with a humble approach my track career was a success in middle school; but I still had to work hard in high school in order to improve. As a senior in high school now I have been able to become a better person because of my failure.

Can someone check and fix my essay for grammatical errors? Thank you.

Home / Undergraduate / Year of track and field (nursing my injury) - Common App