'yearbook staff' - University of Florida

SkiesSoBlue07 1 / -  
I pushed open the heavy wooden door to room C7 on the first day of my sophomore year and was immediately overwhelmed with the sensation of being dumped in the middle of a sorority. It was my first year on the yearbook staff, and the class was packed with almost all senior girls. I didn't know anyone, and I didn't know anything. Unbeknown to me, this class would be one of the most life changing journeys I have experienced thus far.

My first year in the yearbook class I was the lowest rung on the totem pole; I was there to do everything for everyone else whether I liked it or not. I took on everything with a smile and the few chances I had to shine, I certainly tried my best. It must have shown because I was named the editor of Student Life for my junior year, one of the hardest and most time-consuming sections. However, junior year was the year that changed me. I had to deal with a micro-managing, narcissistic Editor-in-chief that constantly talked to me like I was the dirt underneath her feet. Also, my co-editor didn't accomplish any tasks, and I was therefore burdened with double the amount to complete. Even though it wasn't always a smooth ride, I fell in love. I fell in love with designing the spreads, working with the girls as a team to meet a deadline, and creating a beautiful finished product that hundreds of students would buy and cherish for the rest of their lives. It just clicked; at the end of the day I am always happy with my tasks I had accomplished, which made me realize that I wanted to do it everyday for the rest of my life. I had a sudden realization that I wanted to study to become a graphic designer, and I know that the University of Florida is the right place to start. All of the skills I have honed through yearbook I will apply to everything I will be involve such as a student run publication and a design club, specifically the Digital Arts Media Network club.

When I walk across the stage in my blue gown and accept my high school diploma, my yearbook journey will officially come to an end. However, the lessons, experiences, and memories I have gained I will carry with me for the rest of my life.

this isnt a very moving story, nothing has happened to me that is super life altering or anything - but this class made me realize that I want to do for the rest of my life which is a moment I will never forget. I'm afraid this is just too average and bland that UF will turn me down. please help me with grammar or suggestions!!!
jessjess8877 1 / 2  
I would suggest giving some examples of the things that you learned though year book and how they would apply to other things that you will be involved in.

Home / Undergraduate / 'yearbook staff' - University of Florida