'Years of being looked down upon have changed my life' (Personal Statement)

xmunchkiinz 1 / -  
Hi! I'm not fully finished with my Prompt 2 (what special quality I have), but I would like any comments or revisions on my essay!

As I got up from my seat to turn in my exam paper, my professor gave me a peculiar look and asked, "Are you 12 years old?" I was flabbergasted at the randomness of his question and couldn't help but think to myself, "Another teacher who has asked me the same question."

I quickly then responded, "No Professor Lim! I'm actually 17 years old." He laughed nonchalantly and smiled back at me and said, "You are so tiny! You look like you belong in middle school." I chuckled at what he said even though I've already heard this statement about a billion times.

I then realized that the question about my height has always been a part of who I am. I grew up with a different perspective than the rest of my fellow classmates. I was always the shortest girl in my class and people would point fingers and laugh at me. From pre-school to seventh grade, lining up from tallest to shortest always taunted me. When eighth grade was coming to an end, lining up last for the panorama picture left me isolated from the rest of my classmates. As high-school approached, people would still mock me for my height. In such a huge crowd, it was always difficult to maneuver myself around the school. People would underestimate my ability to achieve tasks that perhaps taller or more average individuals could accomplish.

As of today, I stand 4'8'' above the ground looking at a view completely different from the rest of my friends and classmates. However, my height has given me many opportunities and advantages. From being called to many nicknames such as short, midget, shrimp, or even "oompa loompa", I have learned to love and accept my height. I was able to bond with many of my teachers and professors because of it. The places I volunteer at were stunned by my height, which allowed me to easily connect with my volunteer advisors. Everywhere I go, there is not a moment when someone doesn't approach me and question about my height. I tend to make tons of friends easily because people become unbelievably mesmerized by my size.

Years of being looked down upon have changed my life drastically. Rather than letting my height discourage me negatively, I learned to look at it from an optimistic point of view. I realize now that my height was not a shortcoming that I should be ashamed of but a unique quality that I should embrace.
I quickly then responded, "No Professor Lim! I'm actually 17 years old."

I was always the shortest girl in my class, and people would point fingers and laugh at me.

From being called to many nicknames such as short, midget, shrimp, or even "oompa loompa", I have learned to love and accept my height.

The people where I volunteer at were stunned by my height, which allowed me to easily connect with my volunteer advisers .

Everywhere I go, there is not a moment when someone doesn't approach me and question me about my height.

Rather than letting my height affect me negatively, I learned to look at it from an optimistic point of view.

:)

Home / Undergraduate / 'Years of being looked down upon have changed my life' (Personal Statement)