Young entrepreneur experiences - FIT entrance essay

heliza 1 / -  
Your essay should answer the following questions: What makes you a perfect candidate for FIT? Why are you interested in the major you are applying to? The essay is also your chance to tell us more about your experiences, activities and accomplishments. (No more than 750 words, please.)

**I need to be sure that this does not sound self absorbed and can show the school what I have to offer

Fashion Institute of Technology

My journey in fashion began during the creation of an online lifestyle boutique, when I realized it's so much more than what you see on the runway and in magazines. It's about all the hard work that goes into producing these "glamorous" images. Four years ago, I started selling personalized gifts online on Etsy with my older sister. We quickly outgrew Etsy, and I took the responsibility of building an online e-commerce website. Within months, I built whiteelephantdeisgns, which as of today, received over 3,000 visitors on a daily basis. What began as a hobby, quickly turned into a full-time business and an LLC.

The first machine I purchased was a vinyl cutter, along with Adobe Illustrator software. My sister and I created unique products that were sold in over 20 retail stores across the country. I then decided to invest in a heat press machine and sublimation printer, and began my own coffee mug line. Before I knew it, I was designing and producing over 500 coffee mugs a month in my own bedroom! This initiated my interest in Production Management. I found a wholesale vendor in Asia to supply me the blank mugs, and I learned how to negotiate production time, shipping prices, and minimum orders. decided to go straight to a production company and avoid the middleman. We soon started producing all of our supplies directly through a manufacturing company for a fraction of the price. I prefer to work with international manufacturers as much as possible. One of the best experiences i've had recently was working with a Moroccan fair trade manufacturer on producing some pom pom totes my sister and I designed. That experience taught me the importance of commitment.

Social Media has helped our company to grow rapidly. I've had to learn quickly how to keep up with the supply and demand of the current products we sell, as well as collaborate with my sister to create new, unique products to add to our portfolio every season. Building this business has not always been easy, but my sister and I are proud of what we have built together so far. Our combined strengths and efforts have resulted in the growing success of our company and its collaborations with brands like Show Me Your Mumu and Haute off the Rack, as well as recognition by Vogue magazine, Southern Living magazine, and The Today Show. Seeing what ambition and motivation can produce makes me want to never stop learning and keep striving for more.

In addition to building my company, I've spent my high school years divided between two schools each day. The first half of my day is spent at a traditional, academic school where I learn my core classes. The remainder of my day is spent at an intensive arts conservatory high school in New Orleans, where I study costume and set design. his has been a challenging and rewarding experience for me. I began in my freshman year focusing on designing and constructing costumes. I spent many late days and weekends at school creating patterns, sewing and fitting costumes for the eight shows our school produces each year. Attending a school with such diverse and motivating teachers and peers has challenged me to not only make the best possible choices for myself, but to understand that balance is key. I also attended a summer internship in Houston for Fashion Designer, Jonathan Blake. I am a firm believer in hard work; starting at the bottom and building a career the fair way.

After experiencing many different aspects of the fashion and business industry, I eagerly want to study Production Management. FIT stands out the most, with a curriculum designed for a student that has the motivation and willingness to learn. I need a school that is going to keep me on my toes and challenged, a school that offers the foremost teachers, facilities, and experiences. As well as a location and atmosphere to collaborate with peers. FIT's ambition has proven that they can promise a versatile education; and I as a student, can promise my determination to grow and build a future with the education and experiences given to me.
Streetwalker 9 / 39 14  
@heliza

Your essay is excellent and congratulations for your growing and successful business! The essay strongly reflects your proven ability and experience in entrepreneurship, from a small DIY business to a larger scale. I have visited your website, the url provided in the essay is not completed, I found out from google, it supposed to has a the. And little touch up for minor typos such as capital letters.

Good luck for your application!
Hope, I am wondering if you are not putting too much on the plate of the reviewer here. You seem to have a finger in every pie in terms of production design and yet, you have indicated an actual focus for your interest in the course. If you want to be a production design major, you should let the reviewer know that you are focused on one aspect of the business you started in relation to it. Either you are into the fashion side, the bag design field, or the arts and crafts area. You need to present a focused interest because, just like any start up company, you will lose when you try to do way too many things at once. So, while I do not advice you to remove any aspect of the early development of your career, you should, by now, have an idea as to which aspect of the company you would want to focus on in relation to your major. After all, you may be a jack of all trades, but you must master one. It will be such a waste if you truly are a "jack of all trades, master of none". Try to focus the essay on the field of business that your sister will probably be most comfortable having you handle, production wise then focus on that for the essay.
Hope, I am not sure about how Messal will be reviewing your essay but, as far as I am concerned, this essay is near perfect already. In order to keep the focus of your application solely on production management, I believe that you should remove the reference to attending two schools, one regular high school and the other, for fashion design. If you are focused on production management, the classes you are taking at your second school are not really relevant since that is more geared towards design rather than management. The removal of that paragraph makes it clear to the reviewer that, while your company is getting high profile publicity and exposure, your focus is clearly on the backroom , business management side, which your FIT course will be training you for. Don't confuse the issue, always stick to providing the strongest business management experience that you can provide because that is the department of FIT that you hope to to be admitted to.
maitouyen1 8 / 19  
Hi, you did good job but you work have some mistake and I will give you some advise .your idea confuse me a lot . First if of you have shown how and what give you passion to go with technology.May me because now technology is really hot or it can earn so much money. Second it seem lack of vocabulary, and grammar - realize do not use past perfect and second do not use imagine in your essay

Home / Undergraduate / Young entrepreneur experiences - FIT entrance essay