My younger sister; Villanova Community; Lesson & Experience

thaonguyen1901 10 / 29 3  
Prompt:
One of the principles of Villanova, as an Augustinian university founded on the teachings of St. Augustine, is that students and faculty learn from each other. As you imagine yourself as a member of the Villanova community, what is one lesson that you have learned in your life that you will want to share with others?

Please feedback. Thank you !!!

My essay:
I wished she would not be born. If so, I did not have to share my room, my clothes with her. I could keep my presents and letters in private without being stolen or peeked. Yet she, my sister would not disappear. She stood there, forever, in my life.

From the first grade, I was always in the first place. And I felt ashamed of my sister because she was usually ranked finally. She did not want to sit on her desk, argued with me when I helped her study. She went out every evening. She does nothing at home without watching TV or chit-chat on the Internet. Each time I censured her, she switched to another topic. One night, she wore my most favorite dress without my permission and hung out. I could not endure anymore and screamed at her face: "You do nothing and want to have all. Just get out of here and never be back...!"

That night she did not went home. Neither did the next three days. At first, I was happy and enjoyed my own space. But then I noticed her diary under her bed: "Today a boy call me African girl again. I hate this nickname. I have black skin, my face is normal. I know people only love my pretty sister. They write letters to her and give her presents. How can I become attractive and have many friends like my sister?" And then: "I found the way. I will borrow my sister's hairpin, clothes and cosmetic to be like her. I take them first, and tell her latter because she is parsimonious." On another page, she wrote: "I'm jealous with my sister. She is the first in her class again. My result is still bad. I tried to sit hours long, to read a book completely and to do those exercises. But I was not able to focus like her. I cannot stay in a place more than some minutes. I just want to go out there, playing, talking, or just running around. I know I get worse and worse. But it is too difficult for me to study."

"Oh my poor sister! If she told me earlier, I did not mislead her in such a long time." It reminded me about a three-year-old baby gave me a candy that she received from a neighborhood. It reminded me about a small girl spooned me the soup and slept with me even I got ill. It reminded me about a rainy day, she took the umbrella, running quickly to bring me the raincoat that I forgot, but heavy rain made both wet and we laughed with each other. Suddenly I realized I was missing her. I called her several times and finally she picked up the phone.

She stood at the door, being faint and thinner. Her voice was light:
- I thought you don't want to see me anymore.
- Actually I did. And it was silly! We are sisters remember? I cannot hate you.
We cried. We hugged. And we laughed.

Since she went home, I changed my method. Instead of forcing her sitting in her desk, I ask her questions while we were playing. I told her to respect herself, to recognize her own loveliness, not to imitate others. I bought more nice clothes for her and required her not to steal from anyone. Moreover, we usually play a game: "Ask and answer" to share our thought with each other.

I told my story to share my experiences. Instead of guessing and misleading, we may communicate directly and understand each other. Furthermore, looking only at the wrong face and criticize someone is a big mistake. Even the worst kid is only a victim. Everyone has a beauty inside their soul.
And I felt ashamed of my sister because she was usually ranked finally.

And I felt ashamed of my sister because she was usually ranked at the bottom of the class.

She does nothing at home without watching TV or chit-chat on the Internet

... You better maintain one tense and here it is past tense;
She did nothing at home, but watching TV or chatting on the internet

she wore my most favorite dress

.... most makes favorite redundant and therefore you need to leave one out. I suggest;
she wore my favorite dress.

Home / Undergraduate / My younger sister; Villanova Community; Lesson & Experience