'The Youngest' - Question about main common app essay.

wwr 2 / 4  
Do you think I could do more than one person who has influenced me, as in my 3 siblings? It would be much easier as they are all older and have been my role models in life.

EDIT: is it okay to ask a question in the intro as a sort of grabber?
OP wwr 2 / 4  
Maybe I should choose other or an experience that changed me. Not sure which question to pick.

The Youngest:
I stormed out of the room as angry as a 9-year-old could be. How could this be happening again? My mind raced with thoughts of how to steal the television remote back from my brother, but all my "perfect" plans failed to deal with one thing; he is older than me. Four years above me made him more experienced, smarter, bigger and more respected. Fast-forward seven years, I'm with my brother in a hotel room and yet again I end up deprived of the remote. He no longer has a size advantage but a lifetime of being the youngest (and remote-less television-watching) has conditioned me to give in to my older siblings. Do you have any older siblings? If so, they probably influenced you as much as mine did. Throughout my life my brother and sisters have been role models, bad examples, annoying, unfair, friends, enemies, and even heroes.

My older siblings have helped me from my youngest age. My first memory is that of a cloudy day in England where my brother Joe and my sister Liz were pushing me in a little three-wheeler. Since then they have given me much more than a hand to push my bike. When my parents seemed overbearing I could always turn to Joe and he would give me advice on how to deal with them. A hard geometry homework? No problem, my brother would not only help me by giving me the right answer, but by telling me how he got it. It wasn't just school or parents either, once I got a birthday present from my brother that was a magnifying glass and army men. Some of the guidance I received from my siblings, they gave unknowingly. Often times it was what they did that influenced my own life.

Anyone with older siblings knows that there is a constant fear of being overshadowed, a fear that you will not be as successful as they were. No matter what the situation, I tried to do as well as, if not better than, my brother. This competition, this sibling rivalry, often led me to push harder than I thought I could. It led me to try things that in at any other time I would have avoided. I wanted to live up to my siblings accomplishments and be just as good, if not better than they were. Unfortunately, this desire led to a large amount of pressure. Rewind to freshman year in high school. For most people it is a year of uncertainty but I was even more nervous than most others. My siblings had built up a wall of accomplishments that was seemingly impossible for me to equal. All had amazing grades, APs and honors classes, and even were members of the National Honors Society. I found myself wondering how I was ever going to do everything that they had.

It was around this time when I realized that I didn't' have to follow my siblings. I could do things different from them and still be just as successful. I saw that each of them had varied their path slightly and that I would too. Sure I still had the pressure of high school that ever teenager has but I no longer had to beat my siblings.

Now here I sit entering my senior year in high school with a path all my own. Though I may have differed in my journey through high school I still have learned much from my siblings and I would not be who I am today if it were not for their constant influence on my daily life.

WWR
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
Good evening.

As long as you are able to clearly illustrate how they have influenced your life, it is OK to use all three. If you are unable to give adequate explanation to all three, then it may be beneficial to just do one or two. The point is, make sure you can do a thorough job with that many "subjects".

It is fine to use a question as an introduction, as long as it is one that you will answer or acknowledge in your essay.

Regards,
Gloria
Moderator, EssayForum.com
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
Well, it comes down to which do you feel more comfortable writing about? Which do you think will show you more as the indvidual you are? That one is the subject you should go with.

Regards,
Gloria
Moderator, EssayForum.com
OP wwr 2 / 4  
Ok thanks any advice on the essay itself?

Home / Undergraduate / 'The Youngest' - Question about main common app essay.