"Yourself, goals, achievements etc.." my essay for FIT.

ck1030ny 1 / 1  
I'm applying to FIT and my essay writing skills aren't great at all. I suck in structure, vocabulary and grammar.I need help and it would be great if somebody offered to. I'll post it in a bit.

Thanks!
Well, you have to post something that we can give you feedback on if you want help. If you need help getting started, you could read over essays on similar topics that have been posted on this site to get an idea of what sort of things to do and what to avoid.
EF_Simone 2 / 1,986  
Here's an idea: Don't start by telling yourself that you suck. If you're applying to FIT, I assume you are creative. Remind yourself of that, and start writing while feeling good about yourself. Then post a draft here for feedback.
OP ck1030ny 1 / 1  
Thank you so much Simone for your encouragement. It actually helped I hope it showed. This is my rough draft of my essay and yes I'll be checking back for a reply. Thanks so much again guys!!

I am nineteen years of age and that's how long it has taken to create me as a person. It has been a rocky road since childhood, but it is no excuse that I would for sure want to satisfy my interests of the world by pursuing higher education in what I love.

I grew up in Nairobi, a very densely populated city in Kenya. My family consists of my parents, my two brothers and a sister. My father was the breadwinner of the household and my mother was a house maker. We lived from hand to mouth and every time we got anything small to feed on we appreciated it because it took so many struggles to earn it. As young children my younger brother and I used to help my mum around with the chores; and she extremely enjoyed sewing and making sweaters for us in her free time. I took great interest in it and I turned it to be a hobby for me. It became an obsession that I would engage in once I was out of school.

It wasn't long before my father passed away and I was ten years old at the time. It was the roughest patch in my life that I ever had to deal with. Everything from then onwards was crumbling down and it only got worse. I was homeless together with my siblings and mother. We all lived in different relative houses every couple of weeks. It only got harder with time till one of my uncles' decided to send each of us to boarding schools. He was kind enough to adopt us until my mother found a support system.

It was a learning experience because I was in a catholic all girls' school and the nuns took over the opportunity of parenting. The classes were amazing and there was this particular class that stood out. It was called home science, it was basically comprised of house cleaning skills, cooking and sewing. During this particular class it felt like home. I couldn't wait for Wednesdays and learn our next knitting lesson or stitching patterns and hems. I was so excited when I made my first triple set for a project; scarf, beanie and gloves. It was a success for me and I couldn't wait show my mother all I have studied in school. I felt at ease and I was happy despite of everything I was going through outside school.

The timing wasn't right because my mother got an opportunity to visit America and she made good out of the visit. She decided to stay and open her own fashion boutique. When my siblings and I got to America as immigrants, I specifically devoted my time to work there part-time. I was officially introduced to fashion world. I learned all about floor planning, styling mannequins, and organizing clothes; but working there taught me a bit about marketing, in the sense that I worked at the cash register and online shopping. Management wise was based on learning seasons and trends; differentiate between floral and bold prints. Also knowing the type of clients and average age is very important, the age group was between 25-40 years of age. I learned a lot about what consumers feel comfortable in and being able to assist my mother with sorting out the merchandise that we received.

A few months prior to my high school graduation, I start my research on fashion schools that would make me pursue a career that I love. It took lots of evaluation of different schools till I met FIT alumni who worked in Bloomingdale's in downtown Atlanta in an art workshop. She was an inspiration and explained more about the school. Ever since it has been dream, eat and breathe FIT!! In other sense I have matured as a person and I believe Fashion Institute of Technology will make my future career a success.

Home / Undergraduate / "Yourself, goals, achievements etc.." my essay for FIT.