'the Youth Action Board' - UNC Supplement

JessEllen 3 / 3  
When everyone around you is making decisions that don't coincide to your beliefs, it's easy to feel lost, alone, and out-numbered. This is how I felt my freshmen year of high school when my classmates became involved in drinking alcohol and smoking marijuana. It was how I felt when six of them were charged with a "Minor in Possession" for illegal alcohol consumption after a high school dance. One of the students charged was my best friend Ellen.

It has always been a personal decision of mine to stay away from drugs and alcohol. I value my school work, my future, and my body. I thought it was obvious that being under the influence created a greater marginal cost than benefit. But Ellen couldn't see this, even though she was an all-A student, ran varsity cross country, and played in the Symphony Orchestra. At the start of the year we promised each other we would stick together through high school. The MIP incident, however, caused her stray away. I vowed not lose her. But in this attempt, I was loosing myself.

Ellen felt as though her mistake cursed her with a hopeless future. Her dream of attending a selective college vanished, as did her passion for learning. Thus she turned to self medication. Although my parents prohibited me to associate with her, I did my best to help Ellen.

My incessant reminders of the consequences were futile; she refused to heed my advice. Her family's decision to move to Oregon only weakened our relationship. My confusion and distraught led me to join the Youth Action Board my sophomore year. The YAB is a group of teens who come together to raise awareness about teen substance abuse, and promote substance-free choices in the community. We meet on a regular basis to discuss substance abuse trends, create prevention messages, and plan safe, alternative events for teens.

The YAB taught me how to make positive, healthy choices. More importantly, it allows me to share with others my experiences, and what I have learned. By connecting with other YAB leaders, and organizing YAB events, I am constantly encouraging other teens to make positive decisions. Additionally, the YAB has also given me the opportunity to further develop my leadership skills. As Vice President, I represent the YAB at board meetings, PTO conferences and other community-based events. Last summer I attended a leadership seminar which benefited me immensely.

Mostly, the YAB has taught me how a community of teens can work together to represent a positive voice and presence. Although Ellen moved, I have been able to keep in touch with her through Facebook. Through Facebook pictures, events, and status updates, she has seen my involvement in the YAB. At the end of sophomore year, she sent me a detailed Facebook message, saying that my involvement in the YAB influenced her to cease substance abuse. It even led her join a youth led anti-drug coalition in her community.

With the YAB I am no longer outnumbered, alone, or intimidated. I am confident, positive, standing up for what I believe in, and inspiring others to do the same.
When everyone around you is making decisions that don't coincide with your beliefs, it's easy to feel lost, alone, and out-numbered.

The MIP incident, however, caused her tostay away.

I had vowed not lose her, b ut in this attempt, I was losing myself.

Ellen felt as though her mistake had cursed her with a hopeless future.

Although my parents prohibited me from associating with her, I did my best to help Ellen.

My confusion and distress led me to join the Youth Action Board my sophomore year.

Additionally, the YAB has also given me the opportunity to further develop my leadership skills.

:)

Home / Undergraduate / 'the Youth Action Board' - UNC Supplement