'zero opportunity' - Issue of Importance, UT APPLICATION ESSAY

welc2774 3 / 5  
Choose an issue of importance to you-the issue could be personal, school related, local, political, or international in scope-and write an essay in which you explain the significance of that issue to yourself, your family, your community, or your generation.

I could already imagine myself walking into the doors of University of Texas (UT) even though it was my first semester at Austin Community College. I pretended I was already accepted and transferring to UT McCombs Business School. Knowing my mother went to UT years ago, I asked her about her own experience there. I imagined her walking across a decorated stage in her burnt orange gown accepting her long sought for degree. But that was only my imagination.

Later that day, I talk to my mother after school and she told me the real story. I learned about her love for education. She enjoyed the challenge just as much as me. I felt close to her at this moment. Strangely we had something in common. Then she revealed even though she loved UT and made good grades, she never actually graduated. After almost three years of college, she just decided she was finished. Puzzled why she would drop out just a year before completion, I asked simply, why? She explained her thirsts for working outweighed her desire to get her degree. As she explains this time in her past, I can see the regret in her face. And as we begin talking about her career she left school for her face reeks of sorrow. She explains how she has zero opportunity is seeing others pass her up at her job because of her lack of adequate education. My mother has taught me through her own past experiences the importance of not only attending college but finishing, because I want to find a job that I would love and have opportunities of promotion in my career.

Consequently, my mother faced an important decision, either to continue her education or work, and she chose work. She can still feel the repercussions of a choice she made roughly three decades ago. She is currently stuck in a dead in job with no motivation for promotion. Most people do not realize that even if you go to college, if you do not graduate you could be detrimental to your career by limiting your opportunities. Because my mom did not stay at school for one more year and obtain her degree she has had a very monotonous career that she has held for 22 years. About a year ago she was hit with an ugly reminder. Demoted from Computer Aided Design and Drafting specialist to a data entry position she was devastated. Her old seat filled with another person that was more qualified, someone with a degree.

Furthermore, learning from my mother's past decision helped me develop the desire for a better future for myself and for others. Since that memorable talk two years ago, I have made myself an advocate of telling others the importance of completing their college degree. I take any chance I receive to talk to my peers, friends, and family members about the importance of a higher education and completion of their degree. This is an issue often ignored because many young adults want to get out of high school or drop out of college and get a job to start making money. In my quest to inspire people I have been shunned many times. For some people it is hard to see into the future. Realizing I will not get through to everyone I am still thankful that I can get through to a few.

In fact with a more competitive job market, in order to receive a good career with opportunities people must understand the importance of receiving their college degree. It shows your future employer all the hard work you have done and that you can make a commitment and follow through with it. These are important attributes when looking for a job. Individuals who are fortunate enough to understand that their future is determined by the decisions they make now have a much greater chance of finding the job they desire for. I hope that one day we will not only see a rise in college entrants but a higher percentage in graduates. Given a great opportunity students must not take it for granted. As Jim Rohn said "Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishments."
curtdawg - / 1  
She is currently stuck in a dead end job with no motivation for promotion.

It's a really good story you have here and the final two paragraphs do a good job of summing up your point in the end. However I think you should work on your transitions so they flow better. It's a little choppy. Right now they are really only held together by phrases like "Later that day," "Consequently," and "Furthermore".

Home / Undergraduate / 'zero opportunity' - Issue of Importance, UT APPLICATION ESSAY