Home / Writing Feedback   % width NEW!

Ability to learn from own disappointments is key to personal growth; AP Calculus

azn408 1 / -  
Prompt: The ability to learn from one's disappointments is key to personal growth and success. Tell us about what you learned from a disappointment you experienced.

During my junior year in high school I was struggling with AP Calculus AB, I received a D+ at the end of the first semester. I had never received a grade as low as that before. I was confused because I never thought about giving up, but for some reason I kept failing. I would never allow myself to quit, because even though people would tell me to drop the class because it would only get harder, I swore to myself that I would improve, I realized that my journey in life is filled with struggles and that I simply couldn't run away from it, I had to confront it. The new semester started and the past was forgotten. To try and improve, I sought out help from my teacher and my peers; my teacher helped me by going over some more examples, I soon realized that I knew the material I just needed more practice. I realize how stubborn I was, since I refused help from other people because I believed that I could learn by myself but I kept making the same mistakes in the problems. My teacher handed back the first test we took during the second semester, I got a B, it was respectable and far better score on a test than I had received before. I realize that I needed to adapt to the situation, in this case I opened up and asked for help. In the world the most important thing you need to do is to learn how to adapt to the situation, I learned that in my experience. Later in May it was time to take the AP test, I was very nervous but I believed that I worked hard to prepare for it. The day ended, I felt so relieved that the test was over and I was awaiting my scores in the mail. July comes, I saw that the scores came in, I nervously opened the envelope and saw that I had received a 4 on the AP test. My anxiety left and my excitement grew. I had conquered something that I had thought was impossible in the beginning. I learned that in many situations, you need to change if you are failing instead of continuing on the same path where you will be unsuccessful.

Home / Writing Feedback / Ability to learn from own disappointments is key to personal growth; AP Calculus