Abolishing public transit fares to cut chronic traffic congestion

nguyenphuonganh 1 / -  
Ielts-Task2: I need help for my ielts practice-task2.

A solution for urban traffic jams?

Task 2: The best way for governments to solve the problem of traffic congestion is by providing free public transport in 24 hours per day, and seven days a week. To what extent do you agree or disagree?

Nguyen Phuong Anh.
Traffic congestion problem has envolved as a major topic of concern in society. While the common belief that giving free public transport for all resident all the time is the best way to solve this problem, I believe that there are many disadvantages in providing free public transport.

Free public transport is a great idea for many reasons. Firstly, the population who transfer by public transport will increase whether the government provides buses and trains as the non-profit transports. In turn, the number of traffic vehicles will go down, which leads to a decrease in traffic congestion in peak time. Secondly, giving free transportation encourage people to transfer by public transport instead of moving by private cars. This not only helps to decrease the number of toxic emissions from vehicles but also reduce the number of traffic accidents. Using private cars is one of the primary reasons that cause congestion, so reducing the number of personal cars which particular traffic is a great way to solve this problem.

However, by providing free transportation for resident, the government could face the increase in money for public traffic services and insurances. Towards many cities, the traffic fees resource from personal vehicles plays an important role in the economy, so transportation is not able to be free for all population all the time. Moreover, there are many better solutions to solve traffic problems. For instance, the government can reduce the prices of bus fares and train tickets, this not only can sustain the income from traffic fees but also increase the number of residents who transfer by public transport instead of personal vehicles.

In conclusion, I agree that traffic congestion needs solving as soon as possible and providing free public transport all the time can reduce significantly this problem. Nevertheless, I believe that this solution still has limitations and also there are many better ways for the government to solve traffic congestion.
Erica Atlas 1 / 2  
Hi !
I am also an IELTS test taker and here is my humble opinion:

...transport for all residents all the time...

Secondly, giving free transportation encourages / can encourage people...

... congestion needs to be solved as soon as ... can reduce this problem significantly.

Good luck!
Maria - / 1,098 389  
@nguyenphuonganh
Like what I tell most people, try to be more concise with your language. When you're constructing sentences, always try to keep in mind that you're working with a word count. Revise as much as you can when you're practicing because this will help you develop a more put-together skill set.

Let's try to revise a couple of points in your essay.

In your first paragraph:
Traffic congestion has evolved into a major concern. While others believe that giving free public transport for residents is the best way to resolve it, there are disadvantages to this.

Note that you do not need to mention that it is in society because it is a given. You also do not need to mention that these are disadvantages for providing free public transport because you already mentioned it earlier in the sentence. If you can cut down these unnecessary texts, you will be surprised how many word counts you can ultimately save.

In your second paragraph:
Free public transportation is ideal for many reasons. [...] population who prefer public transport will increase regardless of what infrastructure the government will provide. [...] people will use these instead of their private cars. [...] one of the primary reasons for congestion; therefore, reduction of personal cars can assist in resolving the issue.

I had changed a great idea to ideal as they pertain to the same thought. I also tried to omit as much unnecessary words as possible.

In your third paragraph:
[...] by providing free transportation [...] the government will face a budgetary problem to provide the public service. In many cities, traffic fees collected from personal vehicles play an important economic role - thus why transportation is not free. [...]

Try to implement techniques that you can notice from here - and you'll do well. Best of luck.

Home / Writing Feedback / Abolishing public transit fares to cut chronic traffic congestion