IELTS (Academic)Task 2- Is advertisement just a form of entertainment?

Rachel26HJ 3 / 6 2  
If a product is good and can meet people's needs, people will buy it. Advertising in the media is no more than a form of entertainment. To what extend you agree or disagree this opinion?

Essay:
As more and more companies invest enormous amount of money in advertisement, people start to argue about whether such investment will influence customers' decision making or it is just a type of entertainment. Personally, I believe customers make decisions partly based on their needs and quality of the products, however, they are also influenced by the advertisement of the products.

To begin with, advertisement can inform customers those products not well known by general public. If a new product just come out on market, with good design and quality, but low brand awareness, seldom people would choose to buy it even it fits their needs, as customers are not sure about the functions it provides or customers are not certain about the quality without comments from previous users. In this case, advertisement, as a promoting tool, can provide a better understanding about the usage, design and functions of the product, attracting more attentions from customers and eventually improving the brand awareness.

Furthermore, advertisement is a better way to persuade customers to buy the product. As we know, customers, as visual creatures, are more easily persuaded by beautiful images and impressive music, rather than long and dull instruction at the back of the product. By that it means visualizing the product by providing advertisement, to some extend, should be able to influence customers' decisions.

Admittedly, advertisement provide a lot of entertainment to their audience. Sometime even though people decide not to buy the product after watching the advertisement, they still enjoy the process watching the advertisement, especially those with attractive story lines or colourful designs. For example, to those people waiting for trains in the stations, watching advertisement on TV screen helps them kill the time and offers them a lot pleasure.

In conclusion, advertisement is obviously not only a form of entertainment, but also a selling tool used by companies to promote new products and influence customers' decision making.

Can anyone give some feedback in terms of the criteria about task response and coherence? Thank you!!
As more and more companies invest enormous amount of money in advertisementadvertising their products , people start to argue about whether such investment will influence customers' decision making or it is just a type of entertainment.

Well, I think this introduction of the background of this issue is somewhat deviated from the actual one.

If a product is good and can meet people's needs, people will buy it. Advertising in the media is no more than a form of entertainment.

This speaks about the purpose of advertisements and not about company's investments on advertising. I feel you should align your writing more with what your prompt suggests. Also, I suggested you a structure for the introduction in one of your previous threads. As per that you need to have a hook statement which I don't find here. The features of that structure would help you earn marks.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS (Academic)Task 2- Is advertisement just a form of entertainment?