"Actions speak louder than words" (do you agree or disagree with the statement)

Janie Tine 2 / 6  
Topic: Do you agree or disagree with this statement? "Actions speak louder than words"

Words and actions are two kinds of emotional behaviors. It is ironic that some people are always talking. But they are doing nothing. As a consequence, I completely agree with the statement:" Actions speak louder than words" because of the reasons presented below.

Diligence is better than laziness, intelligence than foolishness, honesty than dishonesty, anybody acknowledges that fact. But in this life, many people know the good without following it, the evil without avoiding it. For instance, they still smoke, even though they know it is bad. Nobody can rival them in speaking, yet their behaviors are undeserving. Therefore, it is easy to speak but difficult to act.

Moreover, if you,just talk without your specific actions, you will become a boastful person to people. People could possibly look down on you. Then, what should you do? You must act. If you act without words, you can become an astute and intelligent person. People will not compare you to those talkative, and useless. That is the best way to behave in community.

In conclusion, words is nothing but words. Actions is the way to make people admire you. Do not talk much, just act, because actions speak louder than words.
ashtonrounds 1 / 6  
Janie,

I agree with the statement, "Actions Speak Louder than Words". However I found this passage very difficult to read. I found myself re-reading many parts of the paper and I am not really sure why. I think that because I read it both aloud and in my head that you are a big fan of commas. I also like them. I am just not sure if you need as many as you have.

I think you may be trying to write like you would speak, however, starting a sentence with "But,..." might not be such a great idea.

What is this passage for? How long is it suppose to be?

I think it's great to provide so many examples but I feel there are exceptions to every rule. Perhaps, if there is not a word limit you could a more in depth situation in which actions speak loud than words.. maybe even a true experience.

------------------------------------------

^
How about:
Words and actions are two separate emotional behaviors. It is with personal choice that we, as people, decide whether to speak and not act, act but not speak or speak at act at the same time. The statement, "Actions speak louder than words" could not ring more true for me.

This way you open the passage with options.

Diligence is better than laziness, intelligence than foolishness, honesty than dishonesty, anybody acknowledges that fact.But In this life, many people know the good without following it, the evil without avoiding it. For instance, they still smoke, even though they know it is bad. Nobody can rival them in speaking, yet their behaviors are undeserving. Therefore, it is easy to speak but difficult to act.

^ TO assume that everyone acknowledges the fact that honesty is better then dishonesty is an outreach. I know many people who would prefer to not be honest or to not accept honest people. This of course has to deal with their own personal issues.. but you just put the reader in a box.

How about:

In this life I have seen many people say something and do the opposite. For instants, smoking. I have heard many people discuss the effects of smoking on their lungs and on the lungs of the people around me. However, they continue to "light up" every chance they get. This is the perfect example of someone whose actions do not speak louder then their words

This is of course.. not perfect.. and I am NOT trying to re-write your essay

^
The only thing I thought here was, "Do not tell me what to do with my actions... convince me other wise, but do not tell me what to do." Also, why so many comma's?

In conclusion, words is nothing but words. Actions is are the way to make people admire you. Do not talk much, just act, because actions speak louder than words.

^
Again, your telling me what to do and what to think. Who says that I want people to admire me? And truly.. you can have bad actions that you do not speak about and WILL NOT make people admire you. I feel this is bad advice.

Ok, so as to not act like I know everything, because I do not, I would like to extend the option to go over your topic a little more if you wish. I do not want to seem pushy or to hurt your feelings. If I have done so, please excuse me.
OP Janie Tine 2 / 6  
Thank you very much for your reply!!!
You have too many words. Each of your paragraphs can be distilled into a single sentence. So, do that, then add more examples and details to prove your point more solidly.

Before: "Words and actions are two kinds of emotional behaviors. It is ironic that some people are always talking. But they are doing nothing. As a consequence, I completely agree with the statement:" Actions speak louder than words" because of the reasons presented below."

After: "Actions do indeed speak louder than words."

Before: "Diligence is better than laziness, intelligence than foolishness, honesty than dishonesty, anybody acknowledges that fact. But in this life, many people know the good without following it, the evil without avoiding it. For instance, they still smoke, even though they know it is bad. Nobody can rival them in speaking, yet their behaviors are undeserving. Therefore, it is easy to speak but difficult to act."

After: "It is often easier to say than to do. For instance, it may be easier for a smoker to warn others of the dangers of smoking than to quit himself."

Before: "Moreover, if you,just talk without your specific actions, you will become a boastful person to people. People could possibly look down on you. Then, what should you do? You must act. If you act without words, you can become an astute and intelligent person. People will not compare you to those talkative, and useless. That is the best way to behave in community"

After: "People who only ever talk may be perceived as boastful or hypocritical, whereas those who let their actions speak for them will win the respect of their community."
EF_Simone 2 / 1,986  
What's the purpose of this essay? An English proficiency test? If so, better do what you clearly know how to do: Write complete, grammatically correct sentences. Now is not the time to try for fancy structures or to use sentence fragments for emphasis. Say that you have to say in grammatically correct sentences.

It is ironic that some people are always talking.

Why is it ironic that some people talk a lot?

But they are doing nothing.

This functions as a fragment, because of the "but."

Diligence is better than laziness, intelligence than foolishness, honesty than dishonesty, anybody acknowledges that fact.

Huh? That must be where Ashton got lost.

Diligence is better than laziness, intelligence better than foolishness, honesty better than dishonesty;every body acknowledges these facts .
hollyn91 3 / 5  
I'm going to tell you something that my mother always tells me, you are not an english profesor and so you should not try to write like one. Simpler is always better! Like mentioned above the use of complex sentences and grammar will only confuse a reader like it did me. With consise simple sentence structures you will be able to convey your point more clearly.
Actually, good writing contains a variety of sentences structures in order to avoid creating a monotonous rhythm. However, sentences should not be artificially inflated with extra words, or employ structures simply for the sake of adding length. A good way for beginners to get the right balance is to start with all simple sentences, then go through and see which ones can be profitably combined in ways that actually reduce the overall word count while still resulting in a mixture of sentence lengths.
EF_Simone 2 / 1,986  
I'm going to tell you something that my mother always tells me, you are not an english profesor and so you should not try to write like one.

I'm not sure how I feel about that advice. I'd have to see the writing that provoked it before I can say whether it was good or bad advice.

Home / Writing Feedback / "Actions speak louder than words" (do you agree or disagree with the statement)