Essay on addiction - what does it mean?

rivoltaleandro 4 / 2  
What does addiction mean? Well, if you look up on internet you will find many definitions to it as "The condition of being habitually or compulsively occupied with or involved in something" or "A compulsive physiological and psychological need for a habit-forming substance". When you say the word addiction the first thing that come in people's mind is drugs, but you can be addict to many things besides drugs and you don't even know. Many people could be addict to work, video games, social network, food or even shopping. People who are truly addicted generally have a compulsion to do something and cannot limit the amount.

I think some activities are more addictives than others, but it depends on people's interests. Some people feel better playing video game than eating or shopping, some people rather spending time on computer than studying.

I am not crazy for computer or video games but I love going to the gym. I go to the gym every day to look better, when I miss a day I feel guilty and bad about myself. Am I addicted to working out? Well I don't think I am addicted to working out because so far it is not interfering with my job, relationship, or other important daily activities. I don't plan my entire day around my visits to the gym. I don't think I could replace my family, friends or work for something that I liked to do.

I believe that technology brought to our world two new kind of addictions: video games and computer. Some video games allow the gamers to connect with other players all over the world, allowing for a game at virtually any moment of the day. Spending a lot of time gaming or searching the internet doesn't necessarily qualify as an addiction but when time spent on the computer or playing video games reaches a point that it harms a child's or adult's family and social relationships, or disrupts school or work life, that person may be caught in a cycle of addiction. Like other addictions, the computer or video game has replaced friends and family as the source of a person's emotional life. Increasingly, to feel good, the addicted person spends more time playing video games or searching the Internet. Marriages appear to be the most affected by internet and video game addiction. Some friends of mine got in trouble at work and even got divorced because their addiction to internet and video game. The addiction interferes with responsibilities and obligations at home, and it is typically the spouse who takes on these neglected chores. Addicted on-line users tend to use the Internet as an excuse to avoid needed but reluctantly performed daily chores such as doing the laundry, cutting the lawn, or going grocery shopping. Those mundane tasks are ignored as well as important activities such as caring for children. For example, my friend forgot such things as to pick up his children after school, and to make them dinner because he became so absorbed in his Internet use. For these people time away from the computer or game can cause moodiness or withdrawal.

Addiction treatments are available for many forms of addictions, but I think that motivation to overcome the addiction is the best treatment for these people.
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
Your subject is a very good one, and you make some very good points. A couple more suggestions:

1-What about replacing one addiction for another? For example, many individuals who quit smoking often become overweight because they have an oral fixation that needs to be satisifed, leading them to eat more and become heavier; or, what about heroin/methadone substitution?

2-You could expound a bit on treatment methods for the addictions you discuss? Are there any out there?

3-Do some people just have an addicitive personality? Are there signs to look out for in such a personality besides the ones you already state (the addiction getting in the way of everyday life, etc.)?

Hope this helps!
OP rivoltaleandro 4 / 2  
What would be the best tittle for my paper??
Thank you very much for your time. Take care.
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
How about something like "Lesser Known Addictions" or "Addicted to Technology"?

You're welcome.

Home / Writing Feedback / Essay on addiction - what does it mean?