Advantage and Disadvantage Essay - Being an Only Child

Furkan 3 / 4 1  
In the past, there were families with a dozen or so children. However, ın the modern world, having an only child became more common by the increase of tendency to have promising career and with the help of medicine. It is clear to see that having or being an only child effects parents and child. From the child's perspective, being an only child has both pros and cons.

Generally, in the families with more than one child, kids envy each other in terms of having attention of parents and it sometimes ends up with fighting. As an only child, they have no siblings to compete for attract parents' attention. They automatically have both their parents' full attention. It is well known that the more children, the more burden to family. It means, families having an only child can provide a better life to their child with holidays, good schools, more possession, opportunity to study abroad and so on. Unlike the others, those who are only child spend most of their time with adults. One of the effects of spending a lot of time with adults is that they learn early on how to think like adults. It exactly what makes them more mature than the others.

When it comes to disadvantages of being an only child, the "Little Emperor Syndrome" comes to mind. "Little Emperor Syndrome" refers to the Chinese situation including families and their single child. It is a case in which parents lavish their attention, love, resources on this one child of their, and as a result, the child becomes spoilt and behaves like "Little Emperor". In old age, when parents need someone's help to survive, an only child needs to carry parents' responsibility alone as they have no siblings to share responsibility. For example, my grandfather cannot even take a shower on his own, he needs my father's help to take a shower. One of the most important disadvantages of being only child is they are not able to have nephews or nieces. Also their children have no uncles, aunts, cousins and the like.

To cut a long story short, families with an only child have become more common compared to past. For the children, being an only child has both advantages and disadvantages. Even if some disadvantages can be coped with the help of parents, the others are unable to be avoided.
Samuelsam123 12 / 46 20  
hello !
first of all, great effort on this essay! I would like to make some further suggestions.

"by the increase of tendency to have promising career and with the help of medicine."
I think that it would be better if you would write
This is largely due to the increase in promising career and also with the help of medicine.

As an only child
I would suggest the
It is well known that the more children, the more burden to family.
this idea is kinda not revelant to your points mentioned

Unlike the others, those who are only child spend most of their time with adults.
what do you mean here ?

Furthermore- Study doesn't show that children who spent more time with adults will be more matured

Chinese situation including families and their single child.
I don't get what you mean here.
I would suggest this : "Little Emperor Symdrom " normally refers to the effects that being the only child has.

YOur points are not very convincing ,.... I would suggest you to read more !
Good Luck !
In the past, there were families with a dozen or so children. However, ın the modern world, having an only child became HAS BECOME more common by the increase of tendency DUE TO THE DESIRE OF PARENTS TO FULFILL THEIR to have promising career and with the help of medicine . It is clear to see that having or being an only child effects BOTH THE parents and child. From the child's perspective, being an only child has both pros and cons. ( AND FROM THE PARENT'S PERSPECTIVE?)

Generally, in the families with more than one child, kids envy each other in terms of having GETTING THE attention of THEIR parents and it THE KIDS sometimes ends up with fighting. As an only child, they have no siblings to compete for attract WITH FOR THEIR parents' 'S attention. They automatically have both their parents' full attention. It is well known that the more children, the more burden to THE family. It means, families having an only child can provide a better life to FOR their child with holidays, good schools, more possessionS, opportunity OPPORTUNITIES to study abroad and so on. Unlike the others, those who are AN only child spendS most of their HIS time with adults. One of the effects of spending a lot of time with adults is that they learn early on how to think like adults. It exactly IS what makes them more mature than the others.

When it comes to THE disadvantages of being an only child, the "Little Emperor Syndrome" comes to mind. THE "Little Emperor Syndrome" refers to the Chinese situation including families and OF HAVING ONLY A their single child. It is a case in which parents lavish their attention, love,AND resources on this one child of their, and as a result, the child becomes spoilt SPOILED and behaves like A "Little Emperor". In old age, when parents need someone's help to survive, an only child needs to carry parents' THAT responsibility alone as they have no siblings to share responsibility THE RESPONSIBILITY WITH. For example, my grandfather cannot even take a shower on his own, he needs my father's help to take a shower. One of the most important disadvantages of being only child is they are not able to have nephews or nieces. Also their children have no uncles, aunts, cousins and the like. (THIS PART OF THE DISCUSSION IS NEW INFORMATION THAT SHOULD HAVE ITS OWN PARAGRAPH. INSTEAD, CONTINUE TO EXPLAIN THE SITUATION OF YOUR FATHER AND GRANDFATHER BECAUSE IT DOES NOT HAVE A COMPLETE DISCUSSION AT THIS POINT.)

To cut a long story short, families with an only child have become more common compared to THE past. For the children, being an only child has both advantages and disadvantages. Even if some disadvantages can be coped with the help of parents, the others are unable to be avoided. (ENHANCE THE CONCLUSION WITH A COMPLETE SUMMARY, RESTATEMENT OF THE PROMPT, AND YOUR OPINION TO COMPLETE IT.)

Home / Writing Feedback / Advantage and Disadvantage Essay - Being an Only Child