Advantages and disadvantages of the Internet for an average person?

shofa_nefertete 12 / 35  
QUESTION: More and more people are relying on the Internet as their major source of news and information. What advantages does the Internet have for the average person? What disadvantages could it have now or in the future?

With the world's fascination on virtual reality such as the internet, people are becoming solely dependent for information dissemination and expansion in these wireless networking and search engines. Such habit becomes a culture to most people that signals both boon and bane effects to a typical individual. In the long run, such advantages disillusion us this present and future in general.

On the optimistic view of the internet, people are developed with manual works with the aid of technology in doing their jobs. Lesser time is spent in accomplishing tasks like research and work since information is accessible in just a snap of a finger. Efficiency of such job accomplishment is escalated into a higher pedestal since people are not pressed with time despite hectic schedule. A good example to this scenario is a regular student who is busy juggling both academic and extra-curricular endeavors. Back then, researching assignments and doing projects take the bulk of their time since library work is time consuming. With internet, as the comfort of students' rant, serves necessary information in a silver platter. Such development leads to some higher level of excellence and efficiency for students' performance.

Despite the pleasure that internet has offered, the backwash effects of such advancement should not be taken for granted. Presently, more people become so dependent with the information superhighway which cripple their research skills and critical thinking skills. A gory future scenario of people losing their employment since computers can do better and has outsmarted humans is not too long to come to a fiery reality. Indeed, students now never frequent the library and everybody is opting for a plagiaristic "copy-paste" technology which hampers them to ignite the brilliance of their minds. Machines and technologically-based apparatus are starting to dominate to work and employees are terminated in their jobs. Everyday more people are enslaved by such gadgets which in return command dominion over them.

Internet should only be taken as a vehicle to support us in accomplishing a more effective and efficient job, but this should not take the course of our lives.

If people continue to tolerate such dependency and leniency to these artificial intelligences, then slavery to such robotic entities that only happen in science fiction movies can become a crude reality.
ryutei133 5 / 24  
It is always "I nternet."
...dependent on the information superhighway which cripples their....

a vehicle to support us in accomplishing a more effective and efficient job

My preference is this:
...a vehicle to support us in accomplishing a job more effectively and efficiently....
Only my personal view.:)

I have to say, your vocabulary is ... WOW ... I'm really impressed by both of your thoughts and your style of writing. But in the "disadvantage" part, to me, your discussion seemed to be the demerits of computers rather than the Internet. I don't think they are synonyms. Perhaps, you should lay more emphasis on the negative effect the Internet exerts. For example, since people are indulging in the entertainment the Internet provides, hardly do they communicate with one another, and thereby the relationship between families or friends is weakened. It's my point, but I believe you can write a better one. :)
tshml1990 3 / 10  
Lesser time is spent in accomplishing tasks like research and work since information is accessible in just a snap of a finger.

I think maybe it is "less time"?
OP shofa_nefertete 12 / 35  
Thank you so much. I will be writing more today. You inspire me guys!
This last sentence needs to be managed a little better. It is awkward and unwieldy, like a large box you carry up a narrow staircase.

If people continue to tolerate such dependency and leniency to on these artificial intelligences, then slavery to such robotic entities -- the kind we normally would only see in science fiction movies -- can become a crude reality.

When a sentence has an "extra" phrase, use a set of dashes -- my favorite kind of punctuation -- to keep the sentence organized.

:-)

Home / Writing Feedback / Advantages and disadvantages of the Internet for an average person?