Advantages and disavantages of gap year

Pyon9x 11 / 24 9  
In modern society, especially in western countries, gap year has become a common term among the youth. Adolescents usually take a gap year after they have graduated from high school and have to make one of the most important decisions in their lives : whether to sit for the university entrance exam or go straight to the workplace as well as which major or jobs they should pursue. Some think gap year is a helpful tool for one to make that kind of decision, some hold the opposite view. In this passage, I would like to take both views into account to see whether gap year has more pros or cons.

Taking the advantages as first, it is obvious that gap year opens up avenue for you to gain real-life experience. For example, last year, I was intended to apply to the University of Pedagogy, but I still wondered whether I was really cut out for the teaching career so I spent a gap year tutoring English for young children, doing some voluntary works,etc to see if I had enough sense of patience and empathy for doing the job. That gap year gave me real sense of what are the difficulties in teaching career as well as the skills I need to focus on when studying in the university. As my example shows, gap year really helps in terms of gaining experience needed for your future job.

On the other hand, if you do not plan well enough for your gap year, it will turn out to be a real waste of time. An instance illustrating this in action is the gap year of my cousin in which he just simply signed up for every activities, clubs and partime jobs that he found out on the internet without considering which really did good for him. The result was he ending up his gap year being completely stressed out and still clueless about what field he wanted to pursue. It is evident from this that gap year sometimes is a waste of time.

To sum up, it seems to me that a gap year has more pros than cons, it gives you a lot of what needed for the future jobs but in some special cases, it just acts as a delay in your life. Therefore, it is recommended that you take the gap year if you are still clueless about what to pursue but your gap year has to be well-planned.
Abdurasul 32 / 86 4  
Some(use a noun! e.g. people, experts) think gap year is a

In this passage, I would like to take both views into account to see whether gap year has more pros or cons.

It is not so good way to introduce the thesis statement(anyway examiner expects from you to do so).

To sum up, it seems to me that a gap year has more pros than cons...

To sum up, I believe that the benefits of a gap year outweighs its drawbacks.
ammus1 10 / 29  
Hai,please write the full prompt and try to make good introductions .Try to read more essays.
First, you should have included the full prompt of your essay in this thread so that we could have gained a better understanding as to what it requires from you. Also, it is worth mentioning the purpose of your writing (e.g. IELTS, TOEFL, GRE etc.) as it helps others to provide you with more task relevant feedbacks :)
OP Pyon9x 11 / 24 9  
Thank you a lots :D

Yeah i still have a lots to do with the introduction T-T always stuck with it, so glad i've received replies from you :D

I'm not quite clear about the hook and background, could you explain some more on this, take this topic for an example, can you give me a good introduction for this topic? :D thank you a lots
Sure, let me do a sample intro for you following the approach I suggested;

In many countries, students are allowed to take a gap year after finishing high school and before commencing their tertiary education. (hook) Some people view that taking gap year is a very fruitful experience for students for their future while others feel it is a waste of time (background). In my personal view, I believe that gap year offers more benefits to students than its drawbacks. (thesis statement)
Taking the advantages as first, it is obvious that gap year opens up avenue for you to gain real-life experience.

Here, you are using the same second person voice (you) which refers to your examiner (as dumi has mentioned above, this applies to IELTS and TOEFL and if your purpose is one of them then you need to pay attention to this point ) I think it is better you avoid second person voice for this task because it might sound as if you are giving instructions to your examiner. See the following video clip which well explains about these voices;

youtube.com/watch?v=USNIkthGG5o&list=PLAC4EBBD40CAEC929&index=3

Home / Writing Feedback / Advantages and disavantages of gap year