Many advertisements are greatly exaggerated, thus, causing some untruths in the products

Theodore 4 / 7 2  
Today, the high sales of popular consumer goods reflect the power of advertising and not the real needs of the society in which they are sold

To what extent do you agree or disagree?

Competitions around the world for merchandise profits are acutely increasing every second. In order to remain or standout in the marketing arena, companies resort to advertising their products.

Unfortunately, many advertisements are greatly exaggerated, thus, causing some untruths in the products. As a result, gullible consumers would tend to purchase the products even when they do not need them. For instance, the majority of the people have minor or major muscle aches. Hence, many people have fallen victim to companies which tend to magnify the quality and the advantages of their massaging merchandise. However, one of the best solutions to ease muscle aches is by stretching the affected areas. Therefore, massaging equipment is not essential to our well-being.

Furthermore, female slimming products which are excessively promoted are accompanied by beautiful and slim female models. This certainly causes many consumers to think that they will surely have a nice and attractive bodily figure with the aid of the slimming products. However, a multitude of these lose-weight artefacts has caused adverse health problems. The best way to look glamorous is by eating healthily, staying active and exercising frequently.

Expensive smartphones such as the latest iPhone and Samsung models have also found their way into the hands of the masses via enticing advertisements. As a matter of fact, smartphones have provided people with many convenient ways of communication through social networking applications: Gmail, Facebook, Whatsapp, WeChat and so forth. In addition, these incredible and sophisticated mobile applications allow one to send pictures and documents by just tapping on the smartphones' screen a few times. Nevertheless, people do not need expensive smartphones to get their message around. All they need are just average and affordable ones.

On the contrary, advertisements for mediocre, popular or subpar merchandise are also crucial to a country's economy. They enable the people to be aware of the benefits of products and allow people to opt and purchase the most beneficial products. As a result, the country's purchasing power will inevitably rise causing sustainability to the economy.

With hindsight, I think that the ability of advertisements have created artificial needs for consumers and stimulated the high sales for popular goods. However, consumers should be wise by comparing products of different prices and benefits before purchasing them.
HI Teck, after reading your essay, I tried to recall how your writing technique had improved in each writing task that you tackle. I love the fact that you are playing with different and varied words that truly depict the ideas that you would like your readers to read.

In this essay, I must say that you made your argument known to your readers to comprehend, you were able to gently write the ideas as well as the sequence thoroughly in your essay and this is a very good approach towards getting better at this craft.

Moreover, you made sure that the examples you cited in the essay is very relevant, current and true to what is happening in todays world and commercial businesses. Indeed, advertisements play a big role in the decision making of a consumer and with this effect, sometimes we compromise the needs and go for our wants.

I hope the insights help and keep writing.
Ilmi_03 47 / 69 11  
Hi Teck Hui, it is a pleasure to read your essay.
It is imperative to mention your standpoint in thesis statement as the whole of introduction part.

For instance, you have to make some revision on your paraphrase and show your position

Competitions around the world for merchandise profits are acutely increasing every second. In order to remain or standout in the marketing arena, companies resort to advertising their products. "I strongly believe that most of consumers who purchase those not based on their primary necessities"

Cheers (:

Home / Writing Feedback / Many advertisements are greatly exaggerated, thus, causing some untruths in the products