The advertising is the main cause of unhealthy eating habits.

ryutei133 5 / 24  
Thank you for your advice on my essay. And if I agree with the statement, what kind of points should I list and explain?

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? The advertising is the main cause of unhealthy eating habits.

Contemporarily, advertising plays an irreplaceable role in luring people to buy junk food and thus contributes to unhealthy eating habits. However, advertising is not the main cause of these unhealthy eating habits in that there are others factors give rise to unhealthy eating habits, say, increasing stress of work, wrong concept of beauty, less time for taking a good meal, regional factors, etc. Therefore I'm in disagreement with the statement.

First, people develop the unhealthy eating habits owing to their working stress. As the competition between people in the society becomes fiercer and more intense, the job stability decreased, which lead to more anxieties and stress in people's life. So some people gradually form a habit of eating a lot of food merely to stuff their stomach when they are not really hungry. A recent scientific discovery explains this phenomenon. It is said that chewing will help people soothe their nervous mind and a sense of satiety will give people a consolatory feeling. Besides, some kinds of food, such as bananas, contain certain compounds that will cheer people up. And thus it is clear that numerous people develop such unhealthy eating habit for the reason that they could relieve their stress and be relaxed.

In addition, it is the saying "being slender is being beautiful" in fashion industry that misleads people, especially young women, to follow an over-diet trend. Those young ladies tend to lose weight by refusing to eat even though they are hungry or by throwing up what they've already eaten right after the meals. Taking risk of being malnourished or even inviting anorexia to themselves, they develop an unhealthy eating habit only for the reasons that they mistake slim for skinny and desire to be as attractive as their idols on the covers of fashion magazines. Accordingly, one crucial cause of unhealthy eating habits is the wrong concept of beauty in modern society rather than advertisements.

Thirdly, lacking time for meals is another significant reason for developing unhealthy eating habits. The pace of modern life is accelerating, so that people are always required to accomplish a heap of work in a finite amount of time. Unfortunately, they often have to occupy their own spare time to complete the tasks in time. And thereby they won't have enough time to cook their meals at home or to enjoy their leisure time in decent restaurants. Instead, they eat fast food, which is often considered as a synonym of "junk food," and that's apparently comparatively unhealthier for them. And thereby, I believe, nowadays, people form bad eating habits partly owing to the hurry and bustle in their daily life.

In conclusion, advertising is not the main cause of unhealthy eating habits. Working stress, wrong concept of beauty and lack of time for dinners also lead to unhealthy eating habits.
asokapalama 3 / 18  
Here are some facts about foods

I do not agree with advertising along can change a persons habit of eating. There may be some effect but it is not the root cause. Root causes are ignorance on the food values people's attitudes. Our education system and mass media have not given enough effort to educate our people in respect of healthy food. Also people are not known how nutrients are affect or health and daily activities. It is well known fact fresh foods are the best in the sense of nutrients. Also people are little lazy in marketing and food preparation etc. Therefore they rely on the advertisements in buying prepared food.

Asoka
OP ryutei133 5 / 24  
Thank you, Asoka. I've tried the educational effect on eating habit, but failed to express myself clearly.... Your opinions really really help me to get some inspiration. Thanks again!! :)
thaitam 9 / 14  
However, advertising is not the main cause of these unhealthy eating habits in that there are others factors give rise to unhealthy eating habits...!
hey guys! could you explain " in that" in this sentence. i dont really make sense, it is a relative pronoun?
thanks!
OP ryutei133 5 / 24  
"in that" means "because" in the sentence. :)
Contemporarily, advertising plays an irreplaceable role in luring people to buy junk food and thus contributes to unhealthy eating habits.

I don't think irreplaceable is good here, because it implies that we want advertising to play this role... a better word might be "instrumental"

This essay is quite good! I cannot find many errors, but the thesis statement is convoluted and awkward. The most important thing to do ius fix the thesis statement:

However, advertising is not the main cause of these unhealthy eating habits in that there are other factors that also give rise to unhealthy eating habits, and they include increasing stress of work, wrong conceptions of beauty, less time for taking a good meal, and regional factors.

:-)

Home / Writing Feedback / The advertising is the main cause of unhealthy eating habits.