IELTS task 2: Is advertising persuasive or not?

Alpha Economist 1 / 2 1  
Some people say that advertising is extremely successful at persuading us to buy thing. Other people think that advertising is so common that we no longer pay attention to it.

Discuss both these views and give your own opinion

My essay, my goal is 7.0 at least:

Nowadays, advertising has become a part of our life regardless of viewers' opinions on it. Whereas some people are convinced that advertising can entice viewers to buy things, others believe that advertising is not successful in doing so because it is so common. I am of the opinion that advertising is useless and increases cost for the company without bringing in any benefit.

First, some people think that advertising can push viewers into action because constant bombardment of information can somehow manipulate human's mind. They believe that if a message is repeated again and again, it becomes the truth in someone's mind. For example, if BMW's commercial shows that drivers of BMW are successful, intelligent and good looking, then that image is imprinted into the minds of the viewers. Then, the viewers will become customers of BMW because their conjecture is that buying the car will make them successful, intelligent and good looking just like the drivers in BMW's commercial.

On the contrary, some people believe that the more a commercial is shown, the less effective it is. People are so tired of seeing the same thing over and over again that they do not care anymore and do not retain any information from it. To them, advertisements of cars, toys, or food look all the same - they do not even know what they are watching. The moment a commercial ends is the moment they forget about it.

In my view, advertising is useless not only because people do not pay attention to it but also because they have the option to switch the channel (if they are watching television) or change the website (if they are using the internet). If people do not like something, then bombarding them with that thing will make them hate it even more and they will just turn away whenever they see it.

To conclude, advertising is not so useful nowadays not only because people have become resistant to it due to its commonplace but also because people have the choice to get rid of it using multiple methods.

Thank you!
There are 40 minutes provided for the complete writing of this essay. That means 40 minutes needs to be divided into the draft, review, rewriting, review, and finalization of your presentation. Though you may be able to type fast enough to cover 346 words, you cannot type fast enough to complete the scoring worthy version of the essay presentation. Keep your essay simple. Offer 250-290 words only. That will allow you to present a clear and properly edited final version to the examiner.

You do not need to over discuss the topic. You will not achieve a 7 band score just because you can type a mountain of English words at a fast pace. You are scored on the clarity of your presentation, lack of grammar and lexical errors, and a proper discussion presentation based on the required format. Those are the sections that dictate your high or low score. The number of words, provided you do not over write, does not really matter very much in the scoring presentation. The word count only matters in the writing aspect. Write less than 250 words, percentage points are deducted for the missing words. Write more than 290 and you open yourself up to more GRA, LR, plus C&C errors.
hathao1307 2 / 3  
Your supporting points are clear and sufficient but the explanation sounded more like a speaking test rather than a writing test.
leoandersons - / 4 1  
You have interesting points, but you did not explain why you find advertisement useless enough. You spent an entire paragraph on one example of advertisement persuasion, but you did not give one example for why it is useless. Since the test is timed, for this question, you can stick with the BMW example and explain why it is succeeds on one hand and why it fails on the other hand, or you can write about two short examples, one for each view. Try to keep your discussions balanced when you need to discuss multiple views.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS task 2: Is advertising persuasive or not?