'Afraid of murders all my life' - Essay about my fear

naomiyeahnaomi 3 / 3  
I have been afraid of murders all my life. I have no idea why. Not a clue. It is completely and utterly beyond me why every night when I turn out the lights and make my usual panic stricken lunge through the unfathomable darkness for my bed, there is some tiny voice all the way in the way back of my head that's saying, "You know? Right now, you could be killed. Now... Or now. That's not to say that anyone is trying to kill you. Just that, if they were, they'd probably do it right now... " So far, the only way I've ever found to appease this voice and soothe it into somnolence is to dive into the sea of comforters on top of my bed and to seize the sheets as though my life depends on it, which in my paranoid mesonoxian state-of-mind, it does, and roll back and forth until I've formed a chrysalis-like cocoon where, deep underneath layers of cotton and down, I can convince myself an axe murderer could simply never penetrate.

This fear has become a bit of a fixation for me. I've read about Ted Bundy and John Wayne Garcy. I've watched midnight History channel documentaries about Elizabeth Bathory and then later found myself staring at the ceiling at 3 in the morning, regretting it. It's like a bad habit that I can't get rid of, like biting your nails. I know it's bad for me and that I shouldn't indulge it, but somehow, unconsciously, I always come back to it. I'll space out during class and realize that instead of learning about the last hundred years of American foreign policy, I've been subconsciously planning a convoluted trap for potential murders, which includes a spring board, roller skates, baking soda and vinegar, a bottle rocket, duct tape, an alarm clock, and a Barbie doll from an era that was much less concerned about little girl's self esteem with endowments any girl would pay for.

Logically, I blame my fear on Darwinism. See, thousands and thousands of years ago, when my ancestors saw that food was getting scarce and noticed that crazy look in their fellow cave people's eyes, their sympathetic nervous systems reacted instinctively and they fled. And so, they survived to have similarly paranoid children, who also survived and had children and so on and so forth.

Which bring us to me, a twenty first century girl through and through. I have my iPod and my laptop. I shower safely in my bathroom in broiling hot water with chemical ridden shampoo. I buy my highly processed food at a 24-hour Stop 'n Shop and the closest I've ever been to being prey is playing dodgeball in gym class. On a day to day basis, I would say that I have very little use for my survival instincts. And yet, here I am, at three in the morning, writing this essay. Because I can't sleep. Because of the murderers.

Fear is a very interesting emotion. There is hardly anything more deeply rooted in our physiology and so, as an innate and integral part of us, it is extremely hard to overcome. I know my fear of murderers is irrational, and since looking up the statistical probability of my actually being murdered I am really truly acutely aware of just how irrational it is. Even so, that doesn't make it go away. The fear of my impending doom is so deeply entwined with my basic will to live that any attempt to cut off one threatens to damage the other, leaving me paralyzed. So I accept my fear. And I live on knowing that I can't suppress this. It is not a problem I make go away simply with persistence and an unyielding attitude, as many have before it. So I walk along side my fear. I bring it with me. And though I'm sure I have many sleepless nights to look forward to, I will still be up in the morning, with a strong cup of coffee in hand, looking forward to the rest of the day.

I really like this essay because honestly, its me, completely and truthfully. Convoluted, creative, and a little quirky.
So, what do you think? Is it too much?
Dman00033 1 / 4  
It does come on a little strong, but if it is you I would leave the main message as it is.

My main suggestion would to expand on your last sentence, how even though you fear murder, you still maintain a positive outlook on your upcoming days
ljxlrdjxdr 2 / 7  
I think you used too much "fears" in the last paragraph so maybe you need to paraphrase.
And maybe you should write more about how you walk along with your fear and live positively.
Good luck!:)

Home / Writing Feedback / 'Afraid of murders all my life' - Essay about my fear