Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Parents are the best teachers.

Nguyen Thi 1 / -  

Parents are the best teachers

Parents are always by our sides when we have troubles, share everything with us, and make our lives easier. Although parents are the first teachers in our lives, I don't think they are the best teachers for us.

Firstly, our parents sometimes force us to follow their interests and hopes. They want their children to do what they couldn't do in the past and want us to be similar to what they like. Sometimes, they don't let us be the people we want.

Secondly, they don't want their children to pass comfort zones. They keep their children in their vision. They don't want their children to be dangerous. Although they know their children can do more, they keep them safe.

Parents are important teachers for us, but they aren't always the best teachers. Fortunately, besides our parents, we have a lot of teachers who show us to be better people. We learn from our teachers at school, friends, and even from books and the internet.
This essay will receive an automatic failing score because it has only 166 out of 250 words. Percentage deductions will be applied severely to the missing word count. As such, the way the writer approached the topic, how he discussed it, and how well he may have presented his opinion are not scoring considerations anymore. The essay has already failed, regardless of those considerations. It will be best for the writer to ensure that he meets the word count next time. He must write at least 250 words to avoid word count penalties that result in automatic failing final scores.

The writer did not pose a proper prompt restatement because he began to present his opinion of the topic, rather than a rewording of the original in the first paragraph. While he did present a valid personal opinion towards the end of the paragraph, the invalid prompt restatement will further reduce the score of an already failed essay.

His use of contractions in the presentation also did not help his score. While this is not an academic essay per se, the student is still expected to show knowledge of proper English word writing and sentence development. That means, no contractions should be seen in the presentation.

While other problems exist in the paper, these are the two attention catching problems that will automatically be considered by the examiner when considering the preliminary score of the essay.
Thuy Tran 07 2 / 4 1  
@Nguyen Thi
- "they don't let us be the people person we want"
- "they don't want their children to pass comfort zones" --> step out of their comfort zone
- "They keep their children in their vision" --> under supervision

Home / Writing Feedback / Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Parents are the best teachers.