IELTS: agree/disagree : Some people believe that nowadays we have too many choices.

frankly 1 / 1  
Question : Some people believe that nowadays we have too many choices. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?

many choices, however many options too

Answer:

It is believed that we are presented with an overwhelming number of choices by modern life. From my perspective, I completely agree with that idea.

Firstly, nowadays there is a dramatic expansion in the number of choices in buying things or using services. We are living a consumer society, because abundance of products are being produced in order to attract consumers' attention and encourage them to spend more money. Smartphones are an example. Twenty years ago, we had no idea of a mobile phone connected to the Internet, but now millions of smartphones are being produced daily. Another example is that I had a choice of just 5 TV channels when I was a child, whereas I now have access to thousands of movies or videos offered by services like Netflix.

Secondly, we are faced with a world of options in education. People nowadays have a huge number of opportunities to further their higher education by entering university domestically or overseas. For instance, after socializing education in 2008, a huge number of private universities and establishments are being opened in our country. In addition, public universities and colleges are introducing more and more new majors to compete with private ones. As a consequence of this, high school students no longer have the limited but simple choices of their parents' generation and they are confused about which university and profession to choose after finishing their high school program. For example, my younger brother wants to study economics, but now he is confused about where to go.

In conclusion, it seems to me that we are faced with a huge number of options, and this is more bewildering than beneficial.
coke 14 / 28 13  
Hello frankly

IMO this prompt is a little too broad. However, your essay has covered everything asked and that would be enough to have a good band score.

I like the way you put both simple and complex sentences together, which makes your writing very natural, concise and easy to comprehend.
Here are some of my suggestions:
- You could briefly give your 2 reasons in the introduction. I have the same tendency to only answer the question as you but many people have advised to also deliver some detail to outline what you're going to writing next.

- Your example in paragraph 3 could be clearer. 'For example, my (...) economics, however, the flood of advertisements from multiple institutions is now making it extremely hard for him to decide the school to go with.'

Hope to read your next work.
OP frankly 1 / 1  
Thanks for your help.
Actually, I had trouble with my final example in para 3. Your suggestions helped me a lot.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS: agree/disagree : Some people believe that nowadays we have too many choices.