[TOEFL] agree or disagree the purpose of television is to educate, not to entertain

Allen Hu 8 / 26 4  
Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? the purpose of television is to educate, not to entertain.

Please give me some feedbacks. Thanks in advancing ~

Nowadays,televsion is becoming more and more essential than in the past and modern people always spend much time watching TV with their families or friends. In this case, some people may assert that TV should be all educative, ticking off all entertainment ingredients. However, In my opinion, television is supposed to have the function both for education and entertainment.

First of all, television is designed for entertainment for it's combination of impressive visual and sound effects. This is why television can attract a multitude of audiences. Moreover, modern people, under the great pressure of the fast pacing society, are urgent to find a vent to release their pressure. Thus, it is imperative to have entertainment activities included in TV programmes. Such as the talk show at every sunday night, it can make audiences laugh and bring happiness to them. when audiences enjoy the show with their families or friends, they would never blame the talk show for lacking educational function.'

In addition, more often than not the educative function and entertaining function are usually hand-in-hand, which means one programme is always educative and entertaining. For instance, as skillfully writing dramas and even comedies series such as "Friends" make audiences laugh, they enable people to think about themselves, about their own lives at the same time. In this case, it is undeniable that TV dramas are multifuncational and not created for only one purpose, education or entertainment.

Admittedly, there are various pure-educational programmes such as documentaries and investigation news that are easy to find on the programme list. They are broadcasted in order to make people learn this world and historical events more deeply and develop a critical thinking skill for audiences. Nevertheless, if the techniques often existed in the entertaining programmes such as stirring visual and vivid narrations are applied in the pure educational programmes, these programmes would definitely keep audiences more engaged.

In conclusion, Television is originally an entertainment media.Education-solely is disregarding the basic function of television. Both educational and entertaining function should exist in televsion programmes at the same time.
fahadbd 25 / 56 5  
Nowadays, T elevsion is becoming more and more essential than in the past and modern people always spend much time watching TV with their families or friends. In this case, some people might assert that TV shows should be all educative, ticking off (informal phrasal verb. you should not use in formal writing although i do not understand what you mean here) all entertainment ingredients
OP Allen Hu 8 / 26 4  
Thanks for your advice!~
and modern people always spend much time watching TV with their families or friends

.... I feel you should take this part to a new sentence. Also, the modern trend is to watch TV individually, not with family or friends.

First of all, television is designed for entertainment for it's combination of impressive visual and sound effects.

First, TV is an audio visual media that can grab the attention of the viewers.
aster0224 4 / 11  
as i know, toefl does not appreciate the neutral opinion
Pahan 1 / 1,906 553  

Good introduction :)

In addition, more often than not the educative function and entertaining function are usually hand-in-hand, which means one programme is always educative and entertaining.

.... This sentence is not so clear. Not every program is both educative and entertaining. There are some sopy programs that are good for nothing, but provide entertainment for millions of people. There is nothing that you can count on for education. So, it is not fair to justify that every program provides both entertainment and education.

For instance, as skillfully writingwritten dramas and even comediescomedian series such as "Friends" make audiences laugh, they enable people to think about themselves, about their own lives at the same time.

Well.... with my experience of TOEFL, this is not a matter of concern. All you need is to follow a essay structure that logically justify your opinion and support your justification with specific examples. If you take a moderate stance, then you can dedicate one body paragraphs to talk on one side of the argument and the other one to discuss about the other side. I really don't see any harm in choosing a neutral position as in many issues, that can be the best approach. However, taking one particular side of the argument may be easier to handle than taking a moderate stance :)

Home / Writing Feedback / [TOEFL] agree or disagree the purpose of television is to educate, not to entertain