iELTS: Is ambition is a positive or negative characteristic? Is it necessary for success?

gtamani 6 / 14  
Most of the technological marvels and the unprecedented change in standard of living has been outcome of an ambitious desire of individual to work for the betterment of society. Being ambitious per se is not objectionable. However when ambition turns into obsession or when it diverges from the ethical and moral principles, it could invite unwanted consequences.

Query whether the advancement in the space, bio or internet technology would have been possible without intrinsic desire of an individual to endure all pain and suffering to achieve their dream. Definitely, our society would have been worse off, had these individual not undertaken such efforts. In technological realm, without the ambitious vision of Steve jobs to provide cheap personal computer to every household or Bill gates desire to make America a technological powerhouse of 21st century, how would have been shape of information technology and computer industry? Likewise, ambition is also critical for the success in political realm. The good politician should be ambitious. President Obama struggle during his initial years in politics aptly illustrates the point. Imagine the perseverance and effort required for Community organizer to get elected into the most powerful position in the world. Can it ever be possible without being ambitious?

However, history of mankind is replete with examples wherein individual desires have cost a lot to society. Usually, ambition that is against the societal values and norms could invite disastrous consequences. Consider for example, millions of people were killed and maimed during Second World War. This was an outcome of result Hitler's ambitious plan to unite all European states and ambition to obliterate Jews. Likewise, thousands have died in the name of Islam, which was ignited by Osman's desire to create Islamic state.

In conclusion, many ambitious individual, who channeled their energy towards attainment of their goals for betterment of society are well respected and successful. At the same time, other other ambitious individual, whose goals are self-serving and doesn't adhere to rules of society are largely ignored or hated by the society.
Bobbypark 3 / 8  
Being ambitious per se is not objectionable? something missing?
Xeeshan91 - / 3  
Most of the technological marvels and the unprecedented change in standard of living has been outcome of an ambitious desire of individual to work for the betterment of society.

you can write it concisely in this way,which makes it quite clear and meaningful
An ambitious desire of an individual has always been an outcome in betterment of the society like most of the technological marvels and unprecedented change in standard of living.
SilverKnight 15 / 55 4  
You're writing seems to be fairly polished. However, while you give the proper amount of evidence, you need a more detailed explanation as to why your evidence backs up your argument.
Most of the technological marvels and the unprecedented change in standard of living hashave been outcome of an ambitious desire of individual to work for the betterment of society.

... I fixed the grammar error. However, technogical marvels and change in living standards are not the outcomes of making people ambitious. They are the reasons for that outcome. You need to change the order of this sentence;

Most of the technological marvels and the unprecedented change in standard of living have led to the outcome of an ambitious desire of individual to work for the betterment of society.

Due to most of the technological marvels and the unprecedented change in standard of living, people have become ambitious to work for the betterment of society.

Anyway, I am not in favor of this sentence as a hook statement. It's too lengthy, complex and weak as an idea to open your essay. Hook should be more interesting and clear to the reader.

Home / Writing Feedback / iELTS: Is ambition is a positive or negative characteristic? Is it necessary for success?