American Government "Paper" Concerning the Constitution...

MarkTwain90Angl 1 / -  
So Im reading this American Government book, (the chapter on the "Constitution") and at the end of the chapter there are like these cool little review Question and Answer... questions... And anyway, I wrote a response to one of the questions and Im looking for some critiques.

Wanna read?

Heres the question: The writing of the Constitution can be seen as the first real qorking of group interest, or pluralism, in the United States. What kind of bargains or compromises were struck in the writing of this document? How were the various interests in the thirten colonies protected by the provisions of the Constitution?

Ok, so I wanna gonna write a simple answer in 3 or 4 sentences but it ended up gettin pretty long. So neway. Heres it.

During the drafting of the United Constitution the legislating delegates were faced with solving several dilemmas including: The organization of the National legislature, limiting the powers of the Federal government over it's states, and protecting the rights and liberties of the individual citizen. In resolving some of these issues several compromises were made involving the organization & power of the national legislature. The Connecticut Compromise"" set-up a bicameral legislative structure of the House of Representatives & the Senate. While the issue of whether to establish a Supreme Court only or to create lower courts as well was solved by mandating a Supreme Court and allowing Congress to establish lower courts. An agreement was also made to allow the President to nominate Supreme Court Justices while the Senate would confirm the nomination.

Matters of limiting the Federal Government's power and protecting the rights of the individual citizen also had to be addressed. To mantain equal state representation in the National government the Connecticut Compromise"" offered a system in which; each state would have two representatives in the Senate, And the House of Representatives would be apportioned according to the respective state's population. Point 2 and Point 3.

Um, Im not sure if maybe it's too lengthy an answer for the question or if it's on point. Also may be I should have like an introduction paragraph or sumthin? I left out a couple points at the end I wanted to touch on since it was taking too long for just one question. Im still writing it, I guess...

Neway, any suggestions, comments?
The words national and federal do not need to be capitalized unless they are part of a proper name of some organization or public office.

Google this:
is federal a proper noun?

This is where it gets complicated...

The Connecticut Compromise"" set-up a bicameral legislative structure of the House of Representatives & the Senate. While the issue of whether to establish a Supreme Court only or to create lower courts as well was solved by mandating a Supreme Court and allowing Congress to establish lower courts. An agreement was also made to allow the President to nominate Supreme Court Justices while the Senate would confirm the nomination.

I think this stuff should not be in the intro paragraph. You should do this:

During the drafting of the United Constitution the legislating delegates were faced with solving several dilemmas including: The organization of the National legislature, limiting the powers of the Federal government over it's states, and protecting the rights and liberties of the individual citizen. In resolving some of these issues several compromises were made involving the organization & power of the national legislature. (finish this sentence with one solid thesis statement about the main idea).

Then start each body paragraph with one point:

The Connecticut Compromise"" set-up a bicameral legislative structure of the House of Representatives & the Senate.

While the issue of whether to establish a Supreme Court only or to create lower courts as well was solved by mandating a Supreme Court and allowing Congress to establish lower courts.

An agreement was also made to allow the President to nominate Supreme Court Justices while the Senate would confirm the nomination.

You can't have a smple answer, because the question is so complex! They are asking you for a lot of info if they want discussion of the interests among the colonies AND the compromises, etc., so... I hope they are ready for a complex answer.

Sometimes, teachers assign a complex question and then demand a concise answer, and that is tough!

:-) good luck with this tough assignment.
During the drafting of the United States Constitution, the legislating delegates were faced with solving several dilemmas, including...
In resolving some of these issues, several compromises were made...

While the issue of whether to establish a Supreme Court only, or to create lower courts as well, was solved by...

To maintain equal state representation in the National government, the Connecticut Compromise offered a system...I took out the quotation marks, in case that was an accident. :)

Home / Writing Feedback / American Government "Paper" Concerning the Constitution...