Analysis of an Art Piece, Creativity of Re-Use essay

Someone18 1 / -  
Creativity of Re-Use

Thyme is a sculpture by artist Desiree Brothe. It is currently showing at Oak Room Gallery. The exhibit is of sculptures done by students at the University of Northern Colorado, and is titled "Detritus Transformed." The artwork done by the students will be showing from January 21st to February 27th. A bit of background about the exhibit, is the students were told to use their imagination, be creative and construct a piece of art from trash or everyday objects.

This piece of art is an assemblage, meaning that it was constructed from found objects and then put together in a three-dimensional composition. The overall aspect of this piece is known as a sculpture because it is crafted from assembling different pieces into a three-dimensional from. In this sculpture Brothe uses a wide range of visual elements like, color, mass, shape, space and texture.

The sculpture and all the elements in it contrast with the black background giving it a sense of light and shadow. The process of overlapping of the many objects in this sculpture gives it depth. The rectangle that is seen in the middle of the sculpture is diagonal, which gives the piece direction and guides your eyes to go up and down this piece so that you take in every aspect of the piece. There are many shapes used in this sculpture, which are used to define different areas in the piece. Some of the shapes are there to serve for separation, take for instances where the dragon-fly is placed in the smaller rectangle, the artist wanted this to be separate from the rest of the surroundings. This rectangle outlining the dragon-fly is there to give it a distinct area, Brothe wants to make sure that the viewer sees it.

Throughout the sculpture there are many different textures. Take for instance the wood used in the sculpture; it brings out very strong and beautiful roughhewn to the piece. The combing of different pieces of wood gives the piece a different kind of beauty because of the different grains and cracks. In this sculpture there is a form of unpredictability and disorder there is a sense of chaos. But with all this chaos it brings out the beauty in this sculpture and the aspects of nature: including the wood, insects, twigs, flowers and herbs. The Chaos brings out the beauty of the world and the nature around us every day.
Start with a thesis, namely, what you think Brothe's sculpture is trying to accomplish. What does the work mean? Then, ask yourself how the various elements of the work generate this meaning. You do this to a certain extent in the last paragraph, but really you should start doing this a lot sooner in your essay, and in much greater detail.
Hey now, I remember that formal analysis involves a specific set of instructions, probably given by your teacher. Here is an example: projects.uwc.utexas.edu/handouts/?q=node/15

Do you follow the guidelines you got for this? I see no mistakes, but if you got guidelines that involve 3 or 4 sections of analysis you should maybe use subheadings to show that you covered each. I see no errors in grammar...

It looks like you did a great job!

Home / Writing Feedback / Analysis of an Art Piece, Creativity of Re-Use essay