Home / Writing Feedback   % width NEW!

annual car and truck safety survey - An argument essay

franklamparden 6 / 3  
Hi all,
I'm newbie here.
Please help me to check my essays
Thanks so much:)

The following appeared in an advertisement for United Motors trucks:
" Last year the local television-news program In Focus reported in its annual car and truck safety survey that over the course of the last ten years United Motors vehicles were involved in at least thirsty percent fewer fatal accidents to drivers than vehicles built by any other single manufacturer. Now United is developing a one of a kind computerized crash warning system for all its trucks. Clearly, anyone concerned with safety who is in the market for a new truck this year should buy a United Motor truck."

Discuss how well reasoned you find this argument. In your discussion be sure to analyze the line of reasoning and the use of evidence in the argument. For example, you may need to consider what questionable assumptions underlie the thinking and what alternative explanations or counterexamples might weaken the conclusion. You can also discuss what sort of evidence would strengthen or refute the argument, what changes in the argument would make it more logically sound, and what, if anything, would help you better evaluate its conclusion.

This argument relies on a series of unproven assumptions, which together undermine its conclusion that anyone concerned with safety should buy a United Motors truck. One such assumption is that the survey claims that United Motors vehicles were involves thirsty percent fewer fatal accidents than other vehicles were. The other assumption is that a kind computerized crash warning system which is currently being developed. Thus, I would need to know whether more affects are in fact developing in United Motors before I could either accept or reject United Motors's advertising.

Even assuming that in car-truck safety survey, United Motors trucks are safer than other companies' trucks. However, with the statistic in the ad might not persuade customers to buy United Motors trucks in this year because statistic in survey collected in the past 10 years and might not prove their abilities in present. Moreover, "30%"statistic mentions that thirsty percent fewer fatal accidents to drivers in United Motors vehicles, but this ad for trucks and it might not prove that trucks in United Motors are safer than other manufactures' trucks. If you scrutinized the survey, you would realize that it collected only fatal accidents but not injury. Thus, statistic in survey might not convince customers to buy United Motors truck this year.

Besides the assumption about statistic survey in the ad, other assumption about computerized crash warning system is currently being developed. Nevertheless, this new technology is being researched and developed, not installed in United Motors trucks which is bought this year, it's very difficult to convince customers to buy trucks with this assumption in the ad. Moreover, it might not be enough evidence to prove that with new crash warning system, United Motors trucks would be safer than other manufactures' trucks. This new warning system only warns drivers, but not prevent them from accidents. Therefore, with new technology might not convince customers to purchase United Motors trucks.

In sum, the argument is a dubious on that relies on a series of unproven assumptions - about annual car-struck safety survey, United Motors vehicles thirsty percent fewer fatal accidents than other companies' vehicles and new technology is currently being developed in United Motors trucks, crash warning system. To strengthen the argument, the ad should provide better evidence of statistic survey about only truck in recent time. Even with this additional evidence, with new crash warning system is not currently installed this year, It's rather clear that United Motor ad is weak and unconvincing.

Home / Writing Feedback / annual car and truck safety survey - An argument essay