"Another First Date" - my narrative essay

Luna2014 1 / -  
Hi everyone, this is my first time posting. I am writing a narrative essay and would like to get some tips, it is my first time writing an essay like this. The essay is about online dating and a successful first date with my current partner.

Would love some ideas on things to include, not to include, etc.

Another First Date
I am in the bathroom getting ready for yet another "first date." At this point, I do not have first date jitters. If online dating has given me anything, it is more confidence. "I wonder if he will be similar to the last guy." I thought as I applied my mascara.

Tonight I am meeting a man that I have been talking to for a few weeks but have not met in person. As I put on my favorite top and I head out the door, I am hopeful that maybe this time the man will be someone worth getting to know.

Online dating has become a sort-of adventure to me. Logging on to see my new "matches" adds a little fun to the day. When I initially started online dating, I did so because I believed that it may be better than traditional dating in terms of getting to know someone better. While I find this true in most instances, the people I am getting to know do not seem to be people that I even want to know!

Take Steve, the engineer, for example. He is a successful man with an engineering company in Jacksonville. He was one of the first men that I met online, and one of the men that changed my enthusiasm for dating. We first started talking online and we got to know each other through e-mails and phone calls. He was smart, witty, and nice to talk to. He was polite enough to meet me in Tampa, so we decided on The Hard Rock for our first date. As I arrived, I received a text, "Sorry I'll be a little late." Waiting in my car for half the night was not what I had in mind when we decided to meet for a date! 20 more minutes go by and still no Steve. "What kind of man does this on a first date?" I thought. I receive a call from him, "I will be there in 20 minutes, I'm so sorry, I had an issue at work." 45 minutes later he finally arrives, and although I was a upset that he was late, I gave him the benefit of the doubt since he drove from Jacksonville, and I understand that running a business can cause delays. While I overlooked this occurrence, I found out later that it should have been a red flag.

Steve travels around the world building race cars. The cars are fast, and his lifestyle is even faster. He lives for only one thing; having fun. Sure, this was somewhat appealing at first. I am young and also want to enjoy life, so why not be with someone that shares that attribute? After getting to know him though, I quickly realized that if he wants something; or wants to do something, it is his way or no way and he will do as he pleases with little regard for others. This is not the kind of man that I want in my life.

While the cars, traveling, and fun lifestyle is appealing, what matters is the person that you are sharing those things with. Steve is just not the one for me, so I ended the relationship.

"Is it really possible to find someone with all of the attributes and values that I am looking for?" I wondered. This is a question that is common among people in the dating world. It is like a roller coaster of highs and lows. Is online dating worth it? Am I better off meeting someone at a party or other social setting? Am I better off not dating at all?

When we visualize the type of person that we want to be with, it is hard to believe that there is truly someone out there that will meet all (or any) of our expectations. Many times people settle and stay with a person that is not right for them. I always tell myself that "I will not be one of those people!"

So here I am, in a feeling of despondence. "I am done with online dating!" I proclaimed.
Later that night, I log onto my eHarmony account to cancel my free trial membership, and I notice three new matches.
"Well, I might as well check the new matches one last time." I thought. As I scroll through the matches, one profile sticks out to me. The profile has little information; One picture, a few sentences and an occupation listed as "health care." I assume that he is new to the site, so I reply to his message and do not give it much thought. The next day I receive a reply back from this man behind the profile; he seems interesting and lives only ten minutes away. "Well this is somewhat hopeful." I think to myself.

His messages were compelling enough to keep my account a while longer, and our messages go back and forth for the next couple of days. Here is a man that (seems) intelligent, funny, successful, and lives very close me! "What are the odds?" I thought.

We start talking on the phone; our conversations becoming longer and more frequent. We text every day, exchanging jokes, and random comments. He has a witty sense of humor, and I can tell that he loves to make people laugh. His name is Trent, and he is a chiropractor and sports medicine doctor living in Tampa. We both find it ironic that we live so close to each other; this is something that does not happen very often with online dating. He tells me that he has just joined the eHarmony website, and I am the only one that he has talked to.

"Would you like to go to dinner on Saturday night?" He asks after two weeks of talking. "Sure." I said, hoping not to sound too eager. Our date is set, and I am looking forward to it! I have a race that I am competing in the same weekend but should be back in town in time to make our date.

Saturday morning comes, and I wake up only to realize that it will not be possible for me to make it back into town in time! Weather is causing a change in schedule, and I find out that I will have to stay Saturday as well. "I have to cancel our date! I was so looking forward to it!" I thought with a feeling of sadness. I feel upset and worried that I may upset him and miss out on something great. I reach for my phone to reschedule our date, and I see a text from him! "Looking forward to tonight!" My heart felt heavy, as I hate to disappoint people and I did not want him to think that I was canceling because I was uninterested. "I am so sorry, I have to reschedule." I replied. I was anxiously waiting for his follow up text, hoping that he was not upset. His reply does little to explain how he feels. "Ok." He texts.

That day I went on wondering if we would talk again. My friend Brian was at the event with me and I mentioned the date to him. "I had to cancel our first date, I hope he doesn't get upset!" I said. "He is a guy, that won't matter." Brian replied. "That is true for most men, but somehow I know that keeping your word is more important to him." I said.

The next day I receive a text from him and my mood suddenly changes as I realize that I did not blow my chances completely! "Let's plan for next Saturday if you are available." He texts.

So here I am a week later, driving to meet a man that has me feeling excited before I even meet him. This is a feeling that I have not had in quite a while!

The meeting time is set for 8:00PM and he arrives promptly. I get flashbacks to my first date with Steve and realize that maybe this guy really is different!

We meet at The Cheesecake Factory, a restaurant that I chose. We talk about many different topics, two of them being my favorites; fitness and eating healthy. This bores most people, but he and I talk about it in depth and I feel as if we could talk for hours without losing interest in each other! We joke about movies and I listen intently as he tells stories of his past and growing up in Wisconsin. He has lived in Florida for less than a year, and he tells me that he had no particular reason to move to Florida, he just wanted a place with nice weather.

I tell him about my experiences while living in England, and this leads to talking about places we'd like to visit one day.
He orders the salmon and I order spring rolls, which leads us to talking about some of our favorite foods; we both love all vegetables but despise cilantro.

We discuss my recent visits to chiropractors and what is involved with sports injuries. I can tell how passionate he is about his business, and this makes me content on hearing more about it. I tell him about my pet salon, and it leads us to talking about his Labradoodle named Bailey.

"This is my first online date!" He says jokingly as our meals arrive. I tell him about a few of my dating experiences, and we share a laugh.

We discuss my canceling the first date, and I find out that I was right in assuming that he takes that type of thing more serious than most. He is a man of his word; this is apparent throughout our conversations.

My feelings were strong before meeting this man, and now I am with him in person and the feelings are even stronger! The night goes on, and we talk about anything that we can think of.

The dinner is coming to an end, and I am hoping that he is having as good a time as I am.
"It was nice meeting you." I say, wondering how he felt about our date. As I drive home, I start to think back about the different dates that I have had and the men that made me question dating altogether. I feel something different with this person, a feeling that I cannot put into words.

Once I am home I receive a text, "Really enjoyed meeting you, hope we can do this again soon." I smile as I realize that what I thought was just "another date" could potentially end up being something more. I am reminded of the irony of the situation; I was ready to stop dating, and now here I am after a first date experiencing feelings that I have not felt in a long time. It is often said that significant things happen when you least expect them, and that seems to be true.
niesaysi 16 / 290 85  
I am in the bathroom getting ready for, yet another "first date."
At this point, I do not have first date jitters. If online dating has given me anything, it is more on confidence.
Online dating has become a sort (-)(delete the dash) of adventure to me.
Logging on to see my new "matches" adds a little fun to themy day.
When I initially started online dating, I did online datingso because I believed that it may be better than traditional dating in terms of getting to know someone better.

He was one of the first men that I met online and one of the men that(redundant) changed my enthusiasm for dating.
We first started talking online and we got to get to know each other online through e-mails and phone calls.

Home / Writing Feedback / "Another First Date" - my narrative essay