APPLICATION FOR THE MOOT CLUB - THE BANNING OF WEARING HIJAB IN EUROPE COUNTRIES

Linh Dieu 8 / 16 1  

wearing face veil is forbidden in some parts of europe

Please give me some advice on this essay submitting to a moot club. Thank you all
The hijab, a veil worn by Muslim women, is a religious and cultural element of Islam. However, some Europe countries have banned on wearing face veil, including hijab, in public places. This has caused a controversy about violation of human right or freedom of religion in particular. What is your opinion about this issue

The infringement of religious freedom has provoked acid controversies among nations. Hijab considered as the specific-partition clothing of Muslim women has been banned strictly in Europe countries. To my mind, this decree actually trespasses the human right of religion to a remarkable degree.

In the theoretical view, this banning does not conform to religious freedom law, which is commonly known as one of the most fundamental human rights. Deeply, it relates directly to individual actions that government's permission even with nations having state religion to treat equally with all type of belief depending on personal religion wishes. In practice, some countries have enforced policies to the foreign belief including punitive taxation and limits in practicing belief outwardly in a public manner. On the one hand, it is true that different religions will display in varied forms and we must control their influences on citizens by law. But more importantly, these signs need classifying whether they are detrimental or inoffensive. On the other hand, the hijab is a type of women's clothing so it superficially harmless other than its manifested function of Muslim women's seclusion from men in the public sphere. Hijab is the symbolic expression of the modest-style fashion and social status rather than a fuse to terrorism.

France, the first Europe country banning the full-face veil in public spaces has shown the contrary. It passed a law banning symbols or clothes through which students conspicuously display their religious affiliation in schools, which harshly smashes both student's freedom of religion and perception. Due to one student's developed phase, he must know about religious symbols beside his national belief and aware of his liberal rights of religion as well as handicap decree-law.

In the victims' viewpoint, there are two objects affected adversely. The majority is women who are delicate and have frail-suffering abilities. This banning has put unofficial pressure on those wearing hijab including physical attacks. Consequently, some women stop wearing it out of fear or out of religious conviction for self-protection. Moreover, their legal rights have been infringed as women's belief displays are considered as an open society. Futhermore, Europe's banning decree will constrain their citizens' culture-exchanging opportunities and religious freedom, which can easily trigger more domestic demonstrations.

In conclusion, a religion-protecting strategy should be applied as opposed to an anti-diverse culture policy to reduce ethnic conflicts among nations. This method with educated orientation will reduce assimilation in a better way without raising more controversial problems.
Linh, I believe that you should be arguing this case from the point of view of the separation of church and state. The state is not allowed to look into religious matters by the constitution and therefore, the government should not be banning the hijab as that is a representative of religious freedom in the country. As such, it is the religious rights of the person that is infringed upon. A right that is protected by the constitution and should therefore be respected as a part of their basic human rights. Your discussion does not really lay a clear legal foundation for your claims as you seem to be basing it on religious practice as opposed to religious freedoms that have been protect both directly and indirectly by the separation of church and state.

It will be better for your essay is you look into precedents for this discussion (if any). Look into news reports coming out of France related to the enforcement of the hijab rule and consider the legalities being presented in the discussion. Based on your new information, you should be able to come up with a more legal versed and acceptable discussion as opposed to your current public and personal opinion discussion. You need to gain a better understanding of the law that France is trying to enforce and what actual previous laws it may be violating in the country when it comes to religious freedom.

Home / Writing Feedback / APPLICATION FOR THE MOOT CLUB - THE BANNING OF WEARING HIJAB IN EUROPE COUNTRIES