How to Apply to Universities in America from Indonesia (process analysis)

purplespongy22 3 / 2  
I'm writing a paper on process analysis. please correct me if im wrong cus im not good at writing :)

How to Apply to Universities in America from Indonesia

Numerous of people in Indonesia really want to go to colleges in the United States but something always goes in their ways. Some people just couldn't afford it and some people just don't know how to start applying. For those who really want to go abroad should go abroad. There are a plentiful ways to get admitted into universities in the United States.

First thing to look at before students start applying is the major they want to do. Some students have a difficult time choosing what major they want to do. To choose major, one should be alert of what they're good at, what they enjoy doing and their abilities of a specific subject. There is abundant of majors that students could do and there must be one of them that match their abilities. Students can also do undeclared if they still can't decide a major. Next, it's important to look at what major the universities offer. Students can look at universities that they're interested in to ensure if the universities have the major because some universities don't have all of the majors and some only concentrate on one major.

Second thing to look at is their financial circumstances; whether or not they could meet the expenses of tuition fee and their monthly budget. Students should search for a college that they could afford to go to. The tuition fee ranges in America so there must be one university that students can afford. Almost all universities list their tuition fees in their websites. Therefore students could estimate their financial needs. Monthly budget is the other thing students should concern about. Living expense in the United States is not quite cheap and students should aware of their needs and how much to cover them. With these two estimated, students ought to approximate their budget for living in America and find universities that match their economic condition.

Third, students should look at the required documents in order to get in. All universities have different requirements. Students need to carefully review their university choices since it's important to meet all the requirements to get accepted. Once students have all the list of the required documents, student should start applying to the chosen universities. Most of the universities need SAT (Scholastic Aptitude Test) and some don't. SAT test can determine whether or not a person is ready for college. Universities in America have different expectations of SAT scores and it is the first thing that most universities usually look at. Students should take SAT scores and meet the expectation in order to get admitted. Although SAT test can be really hard, students should not give up trying since SAT can be taken more than once. Another test that international student needs to take is the TOEFL. It evaluates the potential success of an individual to use and understand standard American English at a college level. It is required for non-native applicants at many US and other English-speaking colleges and universities. Besides SAT and TOEFL test, most colleges want essays on given topics. Other than that, all colleges just want transcript from the institution.

Once a student is done choosing a major, choosing a university, and completed all the required documents, student can send all the application in. It usually takes 3 weeks or so for the university to review all the application and it can be nerve wrecking having to wait for the result. When the university is done reviewing all the application, they will mail the result and students will get it in 5 days or so. On the letter, they attach I-20 and a summarization of what students need to go to get there. I-20 is a government form that tells the U.S. government that students are eligible for F-1 Student Status. It certifies that: they meet the admissions requirements, they will pursue a full course of study and they proved to the universities that they have enough money to study and live in the U.S. without working illegally or suffering from poverty. Afterward, Indonesian students would want to go to an American Embassy and apply for visa since they need one to enter America. They would ask students to prepare many documents, including the I-20, in order to get the visa. Once students have it all prepared, they would be asked to come for an interview. After the application is granted, the visa will be processed in 5 days or more, and then they will get their visas.

Once they are done with visas, they would want to consider about when to go overseas. In this case, students need to know when the orientation is. Most colleges would like international students to come to orientation. Students also should be aware of jet lag because of the time difference between Indonesia and America. Therefore, they should arrive in America ahead of time before the orientation. After everything is set, students should be good to go abroad and continue their studies.
Jenny_ 2 / 5  
whole essay seems to be ok, however the conclusion is a little bit out too narrow..

in conclusion it should be written smth that could unite all previous paragraphs, in your case it seems to be just next paragraph (step) in explaining how to get to US.
...but something always goes gets in their way. Some people just cannot afford it, and some people just don't know how to start applying. For Those who really want to go abroad should go abroad.

The first thing to look at before...

The second thing...

Instead of "thing" you can use the word "consideration." The first consideration for people applying to college in the United States is...

...choosing a major, choosing a university, and completing all the...

:-)

Home / Writing Feedback / How to Apply to Universities in America from Indonesia (process analysis)