I am applying Semester at Sea and I just want feedback!

jordifg 2 / 2  
How will your Semester at Sea voyage create (or enhance) your personal global perspective?
Highlight your discussion by referencing at least one country on your itinerary and by explaining how your time there will further develop your awareness.

Since youth, I have been listening to my father tell the stories of adventures he had when he once traveled the globe. At a young age, he had started traveling beyond his native city of Barcelona to countries across Europe, South America, and Asia. The overall lesson my father taught me was that traveling beyond the places you are at most comfortable is essential to expanding your perspective on the world and yourself, hence making you a well-rounded person when dealing with people, places, and situations in everyday life.

Every country on the voyage would offer unique opportunities for me learn and grow, but I would be looking forward to visiting the country of Cuba due to its unique political situation as well as its historical and cultural ties to Spain. Living in the United States and especially Miami, I have witnessed animosity between both countries in result of the Cold War and the triumph of the Cuban revolution led by Fidel Castro in 1959. The view of Cuba in the United States media has been negatively affected because of Castro's Communist regime and its impact on the lives of so many Cuban Exiles in the US. Contrary to the American ideology concerning Cuba, I have always been curious to learn more about the rich Cuban culture in terms of food, music, history, and its people's hospitality and friendliness. I would love to experience a class of authentic salsa dance, visit Ernest Hemingway's house, and take a stroll around the Malecon and Havana Vieja while engaging in casual conversation with the people of Cuba to hear their point of view about the Country's current situation and their hopes for the future. In addition, as a fellow Spaniard, I would like to gain more insight about the close historical ties between Cuba and Spain. Cuba, being the last colony of Spain in Latin America, became the Eldorado for the Spanish people in hopes of a better life and opportunity. It would fascinate me to see the influence of Spain that was left behind from the people of the old country. Overall, I want to be able to visit with an open mind and personally experience the authenticity of the country.

I personally feel that Semester At Sea would be a great opportunity to continue fulfilling my goal of becoming a global citizen that can easily understand and respect other people's cultures and realities. It will provide a firsthand perspective of each countries atmosphere, an opportunity to interact with the people, and an understanding of their way of life that will challenge and impact my overall outlook on the world.
Pahan 1 / 1,906 553  
Since youthmy very young days , I have been listening to my father tell thefather's stories of adventures he had when he once traveled around the globe.

The overall lesson my father taught me was that traveling beyond the places you are at most comfortable is essential to expanding your perspective on the world and yourself, hence making you a well-rounded person when dealing with people, places, and situations in everyday life.

This sentence is very long and therefore it does not flow well.
These stories convinced me that travelling is the best way to have one's perspectives broadened because it offers ample opportunities to explore new cultures and meet new people.

Home / Writing Feedback / I am applying Semester at Sea and I just want feedback!