Apprenticeship Program Aplication

angelfight 1 / 1  
I need some help fully expressing my passion and ideas in answering these apprenticeship program application questions. I know that I'm fully qualified for this position and want it so badly that I'm not sure how to word my answers correctly. I need a bit of re-shaping help. Thanks.

Here are the questions:

1. Why does this program interest you?

I have been searching for the right program that allows me to apply all of my skills and knowledge to benefit the organization that I am working for. I believe that Rhythm and Hues' Animation Apprentice Program would benefit both of us. At the very early age of 5 I knew that I wanted to move to California and become an animator. Watching Jurassic Park and Toy Story only solidified my intense desire to create computer-animated productions like that. I love a challenge and am willing to work as hard as necessary to establish my career as an animator. My dream is to make fantastic diversified characters come to life through animation. My degree in Inter-related Media allowed me to gain experience in 2D and 3D animation, acting, sculpture, drawing, welding, robotics and much more. Your company is at the forefront in creating animations for games, TV, commercials and video games. After seeing how diversified and involved Rhythm and Hues' is with cutting edge effects and animation, I knew that your apprentice program was right for me. I am willing to leave a secure position to take a chance with Rhythm and Hues' if you are willing to give me the opportunity.

2. Tell us about your problem solving abilities?

I have a unique set of problem solving abilities. I am an empathetic and passionate person. This allows me to see many sides to each situation and to try and find common ground to start from. I love to learn from each experience, good or bad. This enables me to see each situation from outside of the box. I like to pick apart problems into a manageable size and tackle each portion individually, as not to become overwhelmed. I realize that some problems and projects can seem so large that its hard to see where to start. I believe that if you break every situation down a bit and brainstorm with the members of your team, that problems become more of an exciting challenge that everyone can be proud of when they have solved it.

3. What strengths do you bring to a team?

I have a real passion for living, breathing art. This passion translates into enthusiasm and hard work when it comes to animation projects. I have worked so hard to become an animator, that once I am part of the creative team I will bring all of my creative skills, past consumer relation skills, and hard working nature to the forefront. I am a true team player. I am patient and willing to listen to all ideas while brainstorming to try and come up with the best solution to a new project or problem. I can also step up and lead a discussion or project when the time comes. Being able to listen to the people around me as well as researching the target demographic enables me to provide valuable input to any discussion. I am very organized and energetic so I can find information fast and easy, saving the team valuable time and money. I have a strong work ethic that pushes me to stick to deadlines, but still strive to do the very best work possible for each project. Since I thrive on change and problem solving, I am always looking forward to more work and new projects. I am an optimist in most situations and work well with people. Having taught karate and working in customer service so long has enabled me to read people and communicate fairly and confidently in all situations. The team would gain a vibrant, enthusiastic and willing participant on all projects I am involved in.

4. What are your short and long-term career goals?

My short term career goals start with getting a chance to work on a multitude of media types. This is why I believe that Rhythm and Hues would be a great fit for me and I with you. I want to help establish a believable idea and character that forces the viewer to be pulled into the story. I want to start out as a character animation and expand my knowledge to include visual effects as well. Although I am familiar with modeling and lighting, my interests lie more in the movement and breathing life into the work. I want to continue to create the "suspension of disbelief" that truly allows viewers to be in the animation itself. As I gain experience and momentum in the industry, I would like to progress toward senior animation staff and eventually art director. I want to immerse myself in all aspects of a project and learn what makes each finished film, show and commercial into a world that people can connect with. I know I have the skills, leadership, and confidence to take charge of a situation to meet with deadlines and steer a project into success. I thrive on change and problem solving. My career holds a future full of learning and progressing toward becoming an art director on feature films one day. As my own career progresses I want to teach others in my own apprenticeship program one day, so that I can pass on the principles of animation and help the next generation break into the industry.

5. On a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 as the highest rating, how do you rate your knowledge of UNIX?

My exposure to UNIX has been minimal (scale of 2), however, I am fully capable of leaning more about this system. I have taught myself many complicated programs, including Illustrator and Premiere on my own, using tutorials and DVDs.
silverystars 14 / 105  
When Toy Story and Jurassic Park first came out, I knew in my heart that I needed to create computer-animated productions like that.

I love and challenge and am willing to work as hard as necessary to establish my career as an animator.

I thrive on diversity and; since your company creates animation for games, TV, commercials, and video games, I know that I could learn a lot at your company and beabout what all is involved in multimedia.

These are just a few examples. What I tend to do is write and create, then take a break, however long that might be. When I come back to it, I will see with "new eyes," meaning that I tend to notice tiny mistakes that I overlooked before --- because I couldn't see them right in front of my face! Hopefully, this approach will help you in your editing, as you have a great basis for an application. You have put a lot of yourself into it, which is great.

Hope this helps!

silverystars
OP angelfight 1 / 1  
Thanks so much this is very helpful
Your responses are very well-written. The most obvious way you could improve would be to add some specific anecdotes to prove your points. So, for 2, you say "I am an empathetic and passionate person. This allows me to see many sides to each situation and to try and find common ground to start from." Can you show the reader how this is true by recounting a situation in which your empathy allowed you to help others find common ground? Likewise, for 3, you say that "I am patient and willing to listen to all ideas while brainstorming to try and come up with the best solution to a new project or problem. I can also step up and lead a discussion or project when the time comes." Again, if you could show the truth of this, perhaps by drawing on a specific experience you had as a karate instructor, for example, your response would become even stronger than it already is.
I have been searching for the right program, one that enables me to apply...

At the very early age of 5 I knew that I wanted to move to California and become an animator.

Don't say 5. Everyone knows 5 year olds don't understand; it is better not to specify an age. You might seem naive if you use a 5-year old's notions as support for your assertion. Just say "from a very early age.."

problem-solving abilities

I am an empathetic and passionate person. This allows me to see many sides to each situation and to try and find common ground to start from. I love to learn from each experience, good or bad. This enables me to see each situation from outside of the box.

This (above) is weak. Like Sean said you need examples instead -- "SHOW, don't tell"

My exposure to UNIX has been minimal (scale of 2), however, I am fully capable of leaning more about this system.

For this, could you get yourself up to a three and a half by studying hard in the next few weeks?? :)

Home / Writing Feedback / Apprenticeship Program Aplication