It is often argued that distance learning should completely replace classroom learning

gabrieloandco 10 / 11 11  
Test 4 TOEFL. Should distance learning and online computer classes replace classroom learning?

In this era of technological innovation it is often argued that distance learning should completely replace classroom learning. Nowadays, most students would agree with this, especially the ones that must work to pay their tuition fee. Without classroom classes, each student could organize his schedule as he wishes, not depending on a professor´s will. Also, they wouldn´t have to pay for transport and everybody would have the same opportunity of studying independent of where they live. Distance learning is obviously more comfortable, but what about the learning? Do students learn more?

Studies suggest that when we speak, 70% of the message will be sent by gestures. This means that a student will understand a topic better if the teacher is in front of him. The faces the teacher makes, the body movements; they all count when sending the message. Unfortunately, none of these expressions would be seen on the screen of a computer.

It is also important for the student to have his questions answered. This is harder to be achieved in distance learning because most of the time the source of information is a video and not a person. Furthermore, if it were the case that the class is a webcam lecture with the teacher, the student wouldn´t be able to solve his doubts with his fellow classmates while the professor is busy. Even worse, if the professor made a mistake no one would be able to correct him, and then everybody would leave the class with inaccurate information.

Finally, it would decrease the student´s social skill. Nowadays, universities seek to improve their enrollers´ social abilities so that they do well in a job interview. It would be contradictory, and rather ironic, to teach a career in an environment free of human interaction and then send the person to an enterprise where he must treat with people every day.

Distance learning is a huge innovation, but we shouldn´t depend on it. Else, we will have professionals that don´t know how to behave in public and without a full knowledge of their area.
Davidg021 3 / 4  
This essay is very well written I only suggest some stylistic changes.

... to an enterprise where he must treat (interact) with people every day (daily).

Else (consequently), we will have professionals that don´t (won't) know how to behave (properly) in public and without a ...

Home / Writing Feedback / It is often argued that distance learning should completely replace classroom learning