Unanswered [2] / Urgent [0] / SERVICES

Writing Feedback Posts: 2

Argument Analysis - Arctic Deer and its Population

anandshende  

The depleting Deer population

Arctic deer live on islands in Canada's arctic regions. They search for food by moving over ice from island to island during the course of the year. Their habitat is limited to areas warm enough to sustain the plants on which they feed and cold enough, at least some of the year, for the ice to cover the sea separating the islands, allowing the deer to travel over it. Unfortunately, according to reports from local hunters, the deer populations are declining. Since these reports coincide with recent global warming trends that have caused the sea ice to melt, we can conclude that the purported decline in deer populations is the result of the deer's being unable to follow their age-old migration patterns across the frozen sea.

Write a response in which you discuss what specific evidence is needed to evaluate the argument and explain how the evidence would weaken or strengthen the argument.

The author concludes that due to Global Warming the ice over the seas in and around Canada is melting and which disrupts the path for the Arctic Deer to cross the sea from island to island in the search of food. Although this argument sounds logical, the author has missed few evidences which can affect the conclusion inadvertently.

The argument states that the local hunters have observed a decrease in population of the Arctic Deer. The author claims that global warming is the reason behind the decreasing population of the Deer. There are a few possible explanations for the hunters to miss judge the count of the Deer. A possibility is that the Deer has found a habitat on a island which is very rich in food and the Deer does not have to travel to any other island in search of food. Another possibility is that the hunting might have affected the population of the Deer. Or the another possibility is the one which the author assumes, that the Deer have died of starvation. All these possibilities will have to be taken into consideration before concluding whether the Deer population has decreased or not.

Also to find the whether there is actually a decrease in Deer population, the author might need to specify the number of Deer which had been sighted before as compared to now along with the time span. If the hunters are comparing the population of Deer 10 years back then the times have changed and the Deer must have generated a new migration pattern.

Notably the author assumes the Deer that the hunters have observed to be shrinking in number is the Arctic Deer. The observation of hunters can be from a part of the region in the Arctic region of Canada. So there is a high probability that the local area from where the hunters are located is experiencing a reducing count of Arctic Deer, but some other parts of the Arctic might be experiencing an increase in the Deer density.

In addition to which the author has also explained the reason of decreasing Deer population by relating it to global warming. This may be just a coincidence and not the real reason, this may restrict the movement of the Deer to a particular area but does not imply that the Deer may lessen in number all over the Arctic.

To summarize things, the author has made a bold argument without taking into account a number of facts and has concluded on the basis of various assumptions discussed above. To firmly conclude about the depleting Deer population one has to check the actual difference in count of Arctic Deer in the whole of the Arctic region. Thus if the count is found to be less, then investigate further to find whether it is due to ice melting or is it due to several other reasons.

Holt [Contributor] 1595  
Anand, I believe that you have written an analytical argument that could very well score a 5 had this been an actual test. Although it has some grammar and sentence structure problems, you should be proud of the fact that you still managed to present a clear and easily understandable argument for the article you were presented to review. I commend you for presenting such an in-depth analysis of the argument considerations.

All of your arguments apply. You did not stray from the presented discussion points, you managed to present counter arguments that were also based on the given facts, and you came on strong and clear with regards to your understanding of the subject matter. I believe that you did an excellent job with this presentation. The only reason that I am held back from giving you a 6 are the sentence structure errors and sometimes improper vocabulary usage. Try to do more sentence structure exercises and try to develop a stronger vocabulary through the use of a thesaurus. That way you can remember just one meaning for several word choices to be potentially used in your future essays.

Home / Writing Feedback / Argument Analysis - Arctic Deer and its Population