Home / Writing Feedback   % width NEW!

ARGUMENT ESSAY ON IMPORTANCE OF COMMUNITY SERVICE AMONG STUDENTS AT PLEASANTVILLE

taanyakhare2312 2 / 2  
Q- Several charitable organizations in Pleasant-ville provide opportunities for teenagers to engage in community service.

Write a response in which you examine the stated/unstated assumptions of the argument. Be sure to explain the argument and what are the implications if the assumptions prove unwarranted.

PLEASANTVILLE - ARGUMENT ESSAY

The Pleasant-ville School Board wishes to imbibe the importance of community service among its students and believes that a making a 40 hour compulsory service for the student would help them in achieving that goal. Moreover, this would provide the much needed assistance to the local charities.

This argument, however, does not take into account some assumptions which may or may not deter them towards their goal. They also have not tried to understand the real reason why children evade from community service in Pleasant-ville.

Firstly, the school should try and understand the kind of work that is required by the charities and whether this work is teemed fit for high school students. Also, they may have some workshops inculcating the importance of being involved in community service for the students. They could involve the charities in the same who could explain to he students why they need their help and how they could bring about a change by spending just a few hours at their establishments.

Secondly, imposing a strict 40 hour service guideline could prove to be detrimental as lazy and uninformed students may not look at it in a positive manner. They might go about it as a ritual and not learn or contribute anything in the process. They might also try and cheat on the no. of hours by resorting to all sorts of chicanery which would hamper their personality.

Instead the board should encourage a sense of empathy towards the downtrodden among their students. For this they could take the help of conscious students who could imbibe the same attitude among their peer group. The school authoritie could also have camps,visits and fundraisers in association with the charity that would help the students to help and also have fun at the same time.

The student with a keen sense of service towards the community could be awarded at the end of their graduation.

Finally, keeping all these recommendations and guidelines in mind the school board must come up with a well-thought out strategy that does not become a burden on the students but should help them to involve into holistic individuals.

Home / Writing Feedback / ARGUMENT ESSAY ON IMPORTANCE OF COMMUNITY SERVICE AMONG STUDENTS AT PLEASANTVILLE