The argument over whether local history or world history should be given priority in school

thuthaotd123456 1 / -  

Writing Task 2: Local history and world history

It is more important for schoolchildren to learn about local history than world history. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?

The argument over whether local history or world history should be given priority in school has been ongoing for many years. Some people consider learning about local history to be much more important than world history. I agree with this idea and will discuss several compelling reasons in this essay.

To begin with, local history provides school children with a firm foundation to understand their nation's singularity. To be more specific, learning about prestigious dynasties and historic events in the past would assist students in recognizing how weighty the merits of forefathers are. For instance, when learning about The August Revolution of Vietnam in 1945, about difficulties and fatalities that our forefathers had to face up with, schoolchildren would appreciate their forefathers' merits highly and treasure their nation's ongoing peace and independence. As a result, the youth could raise their awareness of preserving and developing the nation in recognition of their ancestors.

Furthermore, studying local history would give children more chances of developing interest in the whole subject of history, including world history. Because local history is more relevant and familiar to children as it is related to every aspect of their lives, learning about that would be an ideal basis for them to acquire knowledge of world history much easier. For example, children can make a comparison between events happening during a particular period in their nation and those in other nations, so they can understand the lessons thoroughly rather than merely reading and memorizing.

Some people may argue that if children hardly study world history, they will not be able to widen their knowledge about other nations, which is a disadvantage in this society of globalization. However, the fact is that a lot of school children nowadays learn history only by mesmerizing the timeframe, because they have to perceive a large amount of information about unfamiliar nations and people. Consequently, that will be a waste of time to study world history unless children change their mindset and are truly interested in history.

In conclusion, local history plays an indispensable role in the education system and should be given priority rather than world history. Besides, learning local history would also arouse children's enthusiasm for world history, thereby taking in overall acknowledgment about the world as well.
The student makes a compelling restatement of the original topic. His presentation makes the reader think about the validity of the discussion both sides of the aisle. However, his opinion response was short in representation of the original question. What was supposed to be a measured and emotional response to the question was relegated to a simple agree or disagree essay. So, why this essay will receive points all around, the lack of proper opinion presentation will be a drawback for the score of this essay. Consider the discussion response format and deliver as required next time.

Seeing how this is not a discusss both views and provide a personal opinion discussion, the essay is deemed to be overdiscussed. The third reasoning paragraph represnts the opposing opinion discussion, which is not necessary in an extent presentation. That paragraph only extended the essay, without a scoring consideration to be provided to the discussion due to its lack of relation to the writer's stated opinion. Always defend the writer's opinion alone, provided a comparison discussion is not indicated in the prompt.

Home / Writing Feedback / The argument over whether local history or world history should be given priority in school