GRE Argument Essay "People should not a misled by the advertising competition...

abcdef123 3 / 7  
ARGUMENT TOPIC FROM GRE Pool. Please provide critique and comments.
Thanks in Advance.

The following appeared in a local newspaper.
"People should not be misled by the advertising competition between Coldex and Cold-Away, both popular over-the-counter cold medications that anyone can purchase without a doctor's prescription. Each brand is accusing the other of causing some well-known, unwanted side effect: Coldex is known to contribute to existing high blood pressure and Cold-Away is known to cause drowsiness. But the choice should be clear for most health-conscious people: Cold-Away has been on the market for much longer and is used by more hospitals than is Coldex. Clearly, Cold-Away is more effective."

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Authors argument is appealing at the first glance, where the author concludes that Cold-Away is an effective way to cure cold symptoms and is a preferred choice by health-conscious people. Also the author concludes that Cold-Away is a preferred medication used by more hospital to cure cold symptoms, however a close look at the arguments, where author presents it evidences to support his conclusion, has logical flaws and further studies are required to validate the conclusion.

Author's conclusion is based on few assumptions that he had made in this argument. Firstly the author states that the Cold-Away is more effective, however he did not mention anywhere in the argument that is help people to recover fast from cold-symptoms. Secondly, Cold-Away is a preferred Over the Counter medication for most health-conscious people, however he the author assumes that people who consumes Cold-Away are health conscious. Thirdly, the author assumes based on the marketing and advertising campaign by the two drug manufacturer that Cold-Away causes drowsiness and Coldex causes higher blood pressure are true. When concluding, the author does not provide any valid evidence which support the claims made by the two drug manufacturer. Finally, the author assumes that the since Cold-Away has been used in the market for a longer period of time, it is more effective. The assumptions made by the author posses serious logical flaw which cannot be supported by the evidences provided in the argument.

Firstly, Author's states that Cold-Away is more effective, which is a relative term depending on the level of severity of the cold the patient suffers. Author does not indicate any where how effectively Cold-Away has helping in treating patients over Coldex. Coldex can be a effective under certain circumstances and can be used to treat Cold Symptoms more effectively. Author could have made his argument more effective by providing some factual data about the use of the 2 medication.

Secondly, Author's makes a claim, where Cold-Away is a preferred Over the Counter Medication for Health-conscious people, which raises serious doubts. The Statement made by the author is not supported by any evidences or study which proves that it a preferred medication. Additionally, Health-Conscious people who eat right and exercise daily are less likely to suffer from serious problems and a light dose of medication would help them to recover fast. Author could have made his claim stronger by stating, that Cold-Away has been found to be a preferred medication for health conscious people, based on the research data and medical finding of curing the symptoms.

Thirdly, Author concludes in this argument based on the Advertising Campaign of the two drug manufacturer that Cold-Away is Better. Since both drugs have been approved by Food and Drug Administration and allowed to be sold over the counter, author fails to provide any evidence that the advertising claim made by Cold-Away is based Drug Test or Lab Test Reports.Author could have made the argument logically strong by adding the evidence that would have supported his claim.

Finally, Author's assumption of "older is better" makes him conclude that Cold-Away is Better. Since the new drug Coldex might have a new composition, it would be better on a long term and would prevent relapse of Cold-Symptoms over and over again.

Over the Counter Drugs require a comprehensive tests and clinical trial process before it can be shelved by pharmacies and retailers. Generally new drugs which are protected by patents and not available as generic are more expensive and have a better capability of fighting diseases and also prevents relapse of symptoms. Author's claim need to analyzed in detail and logically sound before concluding that Cold-Away is a better medication.
Maxim 3 / 6  
Author's claim need to be analyzed in detail
OP abcdef123 3 / 7  
Thanks Maxim,
Can you please be more explicit as to how it need to analyzed in detail.
Author's conclusion is based

It's important to refer correctly to the conclusion that belongs to the author. Use an apostrophe, but do not capitalize author. Use "the"

The author's conclusion is based...

Do not capitalize this:
for health -conscious people...

Firstly, the author states that Cold-Away is more ...

Finally, the author's assumption of "older is better" makes...

Over the counter drugs require a comprehensive tests and clinical trial processes before they can be shelved by pharmacies and retailers.

:-)

Look up: logical fallacies list
You will find great discussions of logical fallacies so that you can refer to them when you write essays like this one.

Home / Writing Feedback / GRE Argument Essay "People should not a misled by the advertising competition...