Home / Writing Feedback   % width NEW!

GRE Argument Essay : skateboarding prohibition at Central Plaza

smileynrk 1 / -  

skateboarding's impact on businesses nearby

ESSAY
The letter conveys that due to increased popularity of skateboarding and increased number of skateboarders, the business in Central Plaza has decreased and it recommends skateboarding to be prohibited in Central Plaza in order to return the business at its previously levels. As supporting statements of the recommendation, the letter says that it is store owners' belief that their business has decreased due to the number of skateboarders in that plaza.It is also implied that skateboarders are the precipitators of the increased litter and vandalism which in-turn caused decreased shoppers.However, following questions need to be answered before deciding the effectiveness of the recommendation:

First of all, did the number of shoppers decrease because of skateboarders only? It is written that shop owners believe this to be the case, but the cause of decrease can be entirely different, too. Perhaps shoppers have decreased because a more convenient plaza opened up in the area. If that is the case, then the recommended action will not be effective.

Secondly, are skateboarders the cause of the increased litter and vandalism? Here, it is implied that prohibiting skateboarders will decrease the litter and vandalism in Central Plaza. However, it is possible that skateboarders are not the cause of this. Perhaps, the cleaning crew is not working as they used to. Also, it is possible that the litter and vandalism is caused by the remaining few shoppers or by the shopkeepers themselves. If any of these are true, than the recommendation does not hold water.

Finally, will prohibiting skateboarders not cause lesser business? The letter does not state who are the remaining shoppers. Considering the situation, it is entirely possible that the remaining shoppers are some of the skateboarders themselves. In that case, prohibiting them willl only cause the bussiness to decrease.

Thus, it is clear that the recommendation, as it stands now, can not be fully evaluated until further clarifications are provided.For the recommendation to be properly evaluated, above mentioned questions need to be answered with appropriate proofs.

Home / Writing Feedback / GRE Argument Essay : skateboarding prohibition at Central Plaza