Art Self-Evaluation piece: the process of creating your art portfolio

Jd87rh 11 / 55  
The Art works you have selected for your profilio reveal yourinvestigation of a specific art discilple. In an essay of about 350 words, discuss the process of creating your art portfolio addressing the:

* development of a personal style
*exploration of a theme
* use of material and techniques.

This is my essay, do you think I addressed the things they asked of? It's for my art regents. My portfolio is pretty awesome, so it' all about the essay right now. If you find grammar mistakes I'd really appreciate the help, because I'm dyslexic and somethings i write things that are the complete opposite of what i wanted to write. Thanks!

In having to make a choice between my arts (to pick those that best represent my style, my skills & my improvement) I have had to take a long look at the last four years in LaGuardia & my art through the time.

Along the way I realized a few things about my personality as an artist, for one, my art is never finished, I find myself something's a year or two later going back to a painting or drawing & changing something here or there. I also found out that I enjoy the moment & that at one moment I might find it exciting to make a treasure chest but a few days later I will move on & create a portrait of my niece. So my art has many incomplete pieces.

Thing is, I don't need it to be complete, for me it's more about the process & not the finished piece (not that anything will ever be over & done with in my book). What I love about art is the chaotic part: the oil paint, the watercolor, the clay and the wood, the glue, the stains, the spills and the mistakes. When I look at my work I don't appreciate the finished piece as much as the effort I put into it, the fun I had creating it & the memories I have of it.

As time changes, so do I, and so must my art. I want my art to reflect my personality, I want the viewer to find the beauty in the object, the same beauty I found when I made it. When I paint something, or take a picture of something I don't think about the technical side, I don't really think about composition or the golden rule, or any of that. I just think, "I need to get you to see what I'm seeing," and I do my best to show just that. I think it's seen in my photography and that's why I choose it as my concentration.

My favorite art is the type I can rework, because I can go back, I can add, change, erase and tweak it. When I made my pinhole print "American Pride" I created my own Camera Obscura and the darkroom lets me burn, crop & do as I please with the picture. It's a process that eventually meets an end, I ultimately had to develop the photo, but even now I see things I'd like to go back to an improve on! When that times comes, it's an accomplishment, but I know that in a few years I'll come back and I'll say "OMG! I can't believe I didn't think of this!" and go back into it, so I never consider it complete, perhaps for now it is, but I know in the future there will be more work put in.
Vakax 2 / 50  
Ok, so that made me think of an abstract piece worked on with vivid non-complementing colors.It was....(mind if I borrow a word of yours from the essay for maximum impact?)chaotic!

I mean, I loved parts of it...I really did... How you dealt with the whole Chaotic part was absolutely brilliant. But you leading up to that climax was a bumpy ride. You need a strong start!!!!

The way you introduce Photography in your essay is poorly handled! You only give it one line in all of your essay which is a big NO-NO when you are self-assessing yourself! Give it more meat! I like the way you say "I need to get you to see what I'm seeing," but I dont see how art melds into photography all of a sudden. It hits the reader out of the blue and NOT in a good way.

Your essay clearly misses the last point completely...Use of material and techniques !It is vague on your exploration of a theme . It is basically this in one line " Um, I studied art courses in college and umm as I dont like to finish my pieces, I took to photograpy. ITS CONVENIENT!I just have to use adobe photoshop!"

In addition to other grammatic issues the most important is your use of 'OMG' and 'AN' and 'I'd' etc. Nothing pisses off the reader more than informal use of language while reading a formal piece. Write 'I would' and 'Oh my God' and so on...

Your highlight WAS that one line..."What I love about art is the chaotic part: the oil paint, the watercolor, the clay and the wood, the glue, the stains, the spills and the mistakes." Your reader will only remember you for this ONE line.

Best of luck.
I have had to take a long look at the last four years in LaGuardia & my art through the time.

I crossed out those words, hoping that you might replace them with words that show your clearly envisioned plan for the future.

The thing is, I don't need it to be complete. For me it's more about the process and not the finished piece (not that anything will ever be over and done with in my book). What I love about art is the chaotic part: the oil paint, the watercolor, the clay and the wood, the glue, the stains, the spills, and the mistakes. When I look at my work, I don't appreciate the finished piece as much as the effort I put into it, the fun I had ...

I want my art to reflect my personality; I want the viewer to find the beauty in the ...

I'll give some suggestions about small changes to make below:
"I need to get you to see what I'm seeing," ---- excellent!!

My favorite art is the type I can rework, because I can go back -- I can add, change, erase and tweak it. When I made my ...

...back into it, so I never considered it to becomplete; perhaps for now it is, but I know in the future there will be more work to put in.

Home / Writing Feedback / Art Self-Evaluation piece: the process of creating your art portfolio