Asking for a letter of reference to apply for a job

SSIELTS 1 / -  
IELTS Letter - You are applying for a job and need a letter of reference.

Write a letter to your teacher.

In your letter give details of the job, explain why it is important to you, suggest what information your teacher could put in the reference.

Hope you are doing good. It is a been a while, I wrote to you. I am writing this letter requesting you to provide me with a reference letter to apply for the job.

I am applying for a Technology Engineer position at PS Private Limited which is a start-up company that develops and designs chat-bots and future artificial intelligence products.

Since I am at the entry level of my career, a startup will help me in the growth of my skills. This position will have an excellent learning curve that can shape up my career also provide me with the basic fundamental programming techniques that can be a strong base for the future.

I require a letter of reference with the brief description of my project along with the duration. Also, mention the duties and responsibilities performed in this project further you can also suggest some positive traits emphasising that I am a good fit for this position.

Thank you in advance and looking forward to your response.
Sasakfld 2 / 4 1  
Hi!
My suggestion is that maybe you can use "please"s in the letter to make yourself sound more polite. For example: "please mention the duties and responsibilities performed....". Besides, do you need to write things like "Dear Mr./Mrs" in the beginning and your own name at the end? I haven't taken IELTS, but I think in normal situations they are required. Also, I think it's better to mention some interactions that you have had with the teacher that you are writing to. Say you like his/her courses, and have learned a lot from these courses and you can also mention that I believe you are the best person who can write this reference letter for me because xxxx.
Swetha, when writing to your teacher, you must remember to show respect for the position of the educator at all times. You must also thank the teacher for the time that was spent teaching you a particular subject. Explain to the teacher why you chose him or her to write the letter of recommendation. The explanation should include any relevant reference to why the job is important to you. A reminder of how you performed in the teacher's class will be of benefit in refreshing the memory of the educator and add to the details that might be included in the recommendation letter.

Your current letter is rudely formatted. It is disrespectful of the teacher and does not explain how the recommendation letter will be helpful in a manner that implores the help of your teacher. This letter comes across as a demand letter that does not consider the position of respect, nor show respect to the educator. Your letter makes it sound like the teacher owes you this recommendation letter for no reason.

Request for an audience with the teacher before the letter is written so as to thresh out the details of the letter. Most importantly, format the letter as one of a formal letter, this is not a lengthy text message or facebook message. Format it accordingly, based on the position of authority of the person you are writing to.

Home / Writing Feedback / Asking for a letter of reference to apply for a job