IELTS writing task 2: Should we attend schools until we are at least 18?

OONA 1 / -  
Some people think that all young people should be required to have full-time education until they are at least 18 years old.
To what extent do you agree or disagree?

knowledge to support young people

Nowadays, some people tend to believe that having practical experience in the job market for the youths is much more important than receiving an education at schools, especially when they are in a learning age. However, I believe that the young people still need amount of knowledge from schools to support what they want to do in the future. In this essay, I will provide some examples and my opinions relating to this.

First of all, receiving an education helps the youths to find out what type of subjects they are interested in the most. During the education stage, they learn at least more than 5 subjects in one semester at school, consequently this may be the best time for them to inspire their interests. Even though this will take much time for them to figure out what specific fields of subjects do they actually like, they still can learn different knowledge at the same time. This also helps those young people, confusing about their future career, to find out a career path that really suits them well.

Another reason why the youths should stay at school until they are adults is that schools assist students to distinguish between right and wrong. In other words, students will understand how to apply knowledge, use the correct language, and have right behavior to operate some specific work properly. For example, an advanced English level for being a businessman is required because this type of job needs particular language to communicate with corporations.

In conclusion, before becoming an adult, attending schools is an efficient way for the young people to develop their potential and prepare them for the near future.
pier 11 / 37 9  
Hi OONA. The prompt asked you to explain to what "extend" you agree or disagree with the requirement of full-time education for youth under 18. However, you wrote about the necessity of school and the knowledge they need for their future job.

I suggest to read the prompt carefully and then plan your essay before you write it. Reading others' essay in this forum would be a great start to make a good outline, especially for your introduction. Your second and third paragraph has a good structure though.

that the young people
knowledge from schools-> education
an advanced English level for being a businessman is required-> is crucial for a businessman
particular languagejargon

Hope these are helpful.
Wang, while you will not get a passing score in terms of the Task Accuracy requirements, your overall discussion of the essay requirements are right on the mark. The biggest problem that prevented you from getting the passing score is your misunderstanding of the prompt requirements. It is always best for you to recognize which part of the prompt is the discussion requirement. That is usually the last sentence of the original prompt and comes with an instruction regarding the opinion or opinions you should be presenting in the essay. In this case, you are being asked to present an extent essay. As such, an emotional response is required in your paraphrase. Let me show you an example of how that should be presented:

There are some entities that believe that the youth should pursue a complete education curriculum. The suggestion is that they pursue this course of study until they reach the legal age of 18. I am in full agreement with this statement for a number of reasons.

In outline form, the clue as to the proper discussion method and your response would be:

Discussion Instruction: To what extent do you agree or disagree?
Expected Response: I am in full agreement
Why: for a number of reasons.

If you look at the essay in this format, you will see that you are in total alignment with the expected discussion line, based on the original prompt. Sometimes, it is best to outline the original prompt in order to fully understand what sort of response you have to present:

1. Discussion Topic
2. Reason for discussion
3. Discussion style

If you break up the prompt in this manner, you should find it easier to rephrase the prompt and also, respond to it in a more accurate manner. Remember, a proper paraphrase almost assures you of a passing score in the Task 2 test. Once you foul up that section, you will find it difficult to pass the rest of the criteria even when your body paragraphs properly discuss the reasons that should have supported a proper opening paraphrase. Without the right paraphrase, the body of paragraphs don't stand a chance of scoring you higher than a tangential consideration. Specially when you do not offer a strong concluding summary statement and instead, offer a single sentence reference for your conclusion.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS writing task 2: Should we attend schools until we are at least 18?