IELTS Task 2 : banning smoking in all public areas

yoni 1 / -  
IELTS Task 2 : banning smoking in all public areas. I want to feedback on it.

In the past, smoking tobacco was regarded somewhat as a stylish thing, which might have been influenced by the James Dean's commercial. The notion of smoking, however, has changed a lot. It is more fashionable to condemn the smoking, with the increasing awareness of harm to health. In fact, some countries have already passed a law against smoking in public areas. I would agree that this movement should be widespread around the world.

There is no doubt that smoking is the major factor of lethal diseases, such as respiratory disease and lung problems including cancer. However, more noteworthy point is that similar or identical symptoms can be found in secondhand and passive smokers who are exposed to tobacco fumes. It means that a lot of non-smokers are highly prone to get the smoking-related ailments. Furthermore, it will be worse if the area is not open and people are much younger. From that reasons, banning the smoking in public places would be the best idea to protect the citizens.

On the other hand, while smokers admit the negative impact, they argue that it is too much to prohibit smoking in all public places. They think that every individual has the right to freedom of choice about what they do and where they smoke. Additionally, they claim that smoking industry contribute to the economic growth in many ways. Their alternative idea is the divided section between smoking and smoking-free area. Unfortunately, it does not fulfill the expectations as the fumes can move easily via the air, even thought the ventilation system is fully equipped. Moreover, in terms of the economy, the cost for health spending for smoking-related disease are increasing at an exponential rate, so it has offset the profit from the tobacco industry.

In conclusion, individual's pleasure cannot overweigh the public safety and good standard of health condition. As smoking has the great potential to harm both smokers and passive smokers, more countries should implement these regulations , in order to make countries safer and healthier.
phuongthao15389 4 / 9  
Hi Park!

I think you give compelling explains for your idea. However, I still feel that your writing help emphasize the benefit of tobbacco and advocate it than condemn it. I think you should reverse the order of two body paragraph to highlight your advocation to ban smoking in public.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS Task 2 : banning smoking in all public areas