IELTS WRITING TASK 1 - Bar chart - Divorces and marriages together with marital status

windieyaaa 2 / 3 1  

usa marriages and divorces rates

The first bar chart shows changes in the number of marriages and divorces in the USA while the second bar chart describes the marital status of American adults between 1970 and 2000.

Overall, there were more marriages than divorces during the research period in the top chart. In the bottom chart, most people were married in both years, but the figure for single grown-ups was higher in 2000.

In 1970, 2.5 million and 1 million people were married and divorced, respectively. The number of married people remained stable a decade later before hitting a low of 2 million in 2000. In contrast, the divorce rate peaked in 1980, at roughly 1.5 million but decreased to precisely 1 million in the last year.

The percentage of married adults accounted for 70% in 1970 compared to 60% in 2000. This figure is followed by a group of unmarried people, with 20% in 1970 and around 10% in 2000. As for the widowed and divorced, the proportions remained below 10% in both years.

(170 words)

The exam taker can further improve the GRA score for the report if he makes an effort to use more complex sentences, with the correct punctuation marks indicated in the sentence. In the first sentence, the correct placement of a comma would have indicated a better merged idea within 2 sentences. The sentence, as a summary, is well developed, but lacks the additional punctuation marks for clarity and grammar accuracy.

The data indicated is quite accurate and clear to the reader. However, an image indicator, would be useful. An image indicator clarifies which image is being reported upon in the paragraph. It should not be confused with an image positioner, which tells the reader where the image is on the page. Such positioners are unnecessary to the presentation.

Overall, the student just needs to work on his punctuation usage for increased scores. The report itself is accurate and well within a word count that will result in a high score. The writer has done his best to focus on the quality of his writing, which is a scoring plus, rather than the word count, which is a scoring minus due to the errors it often forces the writer to make. In this case, the errors are limited and do not adversely affect the overall score as these are minimal in nature.
OP windieyaaa 2 / 3 1  
Thanks so much for the feedback !!!

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS WRITING TASK 1 - Bar chart - Divorces and marriages together with marital status