IELTS Writing Task 1 - Bar chart: Waste collection from 2011 to 2015

ngthuha 6 / 14 5  

tons of waste collected by a recycling centre

The chart below shows waste collection by a recycling centre from 2011 to 2015. Summarize the information by selecting and reporting the main features and make comparisons where relevant.

The bar charts compare the differences on the amount of waste collected by a recycling center in 4 different items over a 4-year period starting from 2011.

Overall, it is obvious that an upward trend could be observed in 4 types of waste collection. Moreover, Paper was by far the most common waste item throughout the period shown.

In 2011, there were 57 tons of paper recycled in the center, followed by 48, 35 and 32 tons of glasses. tins and gardens, respectively. Over the following 2 years, the amount of paper waste decreased considerably by 37, to 40 tons. By contrast, waste from glass and tins experienced a drop of around 7 tons in 2012, before recovering to 48 and 34 tons a year later, respectively. During the same period, the amount of gardens waste fell significantly by 17 tons, then followed by a nearly double, at 31 tons in 2013.

From 2013 to 2015, a dramatic rise could be seen in the amount of paper waste, with a jump of 30 tons in just 2 years. The figures for 3 remaining types of waste were relatively the same, with a minimal increase of 4 tons of waste. By 2015, 70 tons of paper waste were collected by the center, while the amount of waste collection from glass, tins and gardens were significantly lower, at 52, 39 and 35 tons.

There is only one bar chart presented, use the singular form of the word instead of the plural form. 2 separate images of the same kind would be "bar charts". One image with several bars in it references a single "bar chart". The summary overview should include the measurement used and the 4 types of trash collected. The trending statement is singular. The "overall" statement is the trend. The "moreover" is unnecessary. The rest of the presentation is acceptable. However, you have written too many words for a 20 minute task. You should be writing between 175-190 words only since you still have to proof read and improve the content of your presentation before submitting it. Do not believe anybody who tells you to just keep writing so you can score higher. Writing more causes more forced errors and also, endangers your ability to complete the writing within the allotted time frame.
OP ngthuha 6 / 14 5  
Thank you so much for your detail feedback. I will take into consideration your comments and make a modification for my writing.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS Writing Task 1 - Bar chart: Waste collection from 2011 to 2015