Home / Writing Feedback   % width NEW!

Beautiful death of Hektor

bizkitgirlzc 29 / 2  
Hey, I was just wondering if you could correct my essay for grammar and whether I proved my thesis. Thanks!

Are the aesthetics of one's death defined by one's virtues...or by one's sins? In Homer's Iliad, Hektor's burial is used as a means to highlight how his death is a product of his honorable and selfless reasons for fighting. Homer ends with Hektor's beautiful death to contrast with Achilleus' anger throughout the epic poem.

Hektor's burial is significant in that it weaves the completion of a selfless character - a man who fought for his family, for his city, and for his people. Andromache, Hektor's wife, gives basis to this claim when in her lamentation she mentions all those who Hektor looked out for, "...for you, its defender, are gone, you who guarded / the city, and the grave wives, and the innocent children..." (24. 729-730) In this one statement, Andromache encompasses not only how important Hektor was to the Trojans but also how the Trojans were important to Hektor. He gave his life in protecting his people. Although given a tempting offer by his wife, who earlier in the poem supplicates him to stay with her, he is not waivered. In response, he explains that he, "...would feel deep shame / before the Trojans.../ if like a coward...were to shrink aside from the fighting (6. 441-443) This demonstrates Hektor's strong sense of honor since he refuses to take the easy way out - remain with his wife while his city, Ilion, is trampled down. Instead, he chooses to continue battling for the sake of those he feels obligated to protect.

But aside from the obvious loyalty that Hektor shows towards his oikos , there is a much more touching side that lets the audience see that Hektor's selfless reasons for fighting also include his loved ones - "But it is not so much the pain to come of the Trojans / that troubles me.../ ...[it] troubles me the thought of you when some.../ Achaian leads you off, taking away your day of liberty..." (6. 450-455) This declaration, which is directed to Andromache, reveals the importance of maintaining his loved one safe from harm. It also portrays Hektor as a character who is equally caring for his people as he is for his own kin. Hektor's reasons for fighting and partaking in the bloody war within the Iliad are not limited to self-glory but rather they are founded on much nobler grounds.

On the other hand, the audience encounters a character within the Iliad that is made out to be completely dissimilar to the noble Hektor. Achilleus is the hot-tempered warrior whose foundations for fighting (and not fighting) come from a much more selfish rationale. Achilleus' anger is best presented when Odysseus, the king of Ithaka, advises Achilleus to put away his resentment for Agamemnon, leader of the Achaians - "...Yet even now / stop, and give way from the anger that hurts the heart." (9. 259-260) Instead of reflecting on this piece of advice, Achilleus refuses to forgive or forget - "He cheated me and he did me hurt." (9. 375) The following dispute shows how even though Achilleus knows of the numbers of his fellow Achaians who are falling, he refuses to see reason and fight for his oikos sake. Achilleus anger is the selfish basis for his decision making throughout the Iliad. Unlike Hektor, who sought the good of his family and his people, Achilleus can only see through the tinted lens of resentment and realizes this too late when he sees the death of his beloved companion, Patroklos - "For thus not all these too many Achaians would have bitten / the dust, by enemy hands, when I was away in my anger." (19. 61-62) It is only when Achilleus is hit by a direct blow that he is moved to act and therefore admits that had he taken action and fought, his oikos wouldn't have been so screwed over. This selfishness that arises from Achilleus rage is used to contrast the honorable selflessness that Hektor demonstrates throughout the poem's entirety.

Yet, the strongest proof of Hektor's noble and selflessness is found in the lamentations of the women of Troy. Helen, wife of Paris and Queen Hekabe of Troy grieve, along with Andromache, the wonder of a man that was Hektor - "...and here now is the twentieth year upon me since I came /...In this time / I have never heard a harsh saying from you, nor an insult." (24. 765-767) Helen sings Hektor's praises not only out of respect for the dead but also as a form of gratitude for the man who did not judge her for being the supposed cause of the war. Rather, Helen's words show that Hektor was a rational and just person who treated everyone with the utmost respect even while still considering that Helen was not an actual Trojan. This evidently contrasts with how Achilleus reacts when avenging Patroklos by killing Hektor. However, Achilleus realizes his error (again) when confronted by Priam, Hektor's father, who reminds him of his own father - "Yet surely he, when he hears of you and that you are still living, / is gladdened within his heart and...is hopeful / that he will see his beloved son.../ But for me.../ not one of them is left..." (24. 490-494) Achilleus weighs Priam's words and is overcome with sorrow when he realizes that in his selfish revenge, he too has killed the loved one of another. Priam, unlike Achilleus' father does not have to opportunity to hope for his sons' well-being seeing how they are all dead - including Hektor. Instead of considering the casualties of war, Achilleus does not see reason in the sense that Hektor is not to blame for Patroklos' death. Rather, it is the circumstances of the war and his prior anger that brings on the death of his beloved companion.

So, what truly ties the significance of Hektor's burial in the end of the Iliad is the concept of Hektor dying the beautiful death . This idea is explained as being a death when "...the flower of youth is his, where man's strength is highest..." (13. 484-485) It is through Hekabe's lamentation where we see that Hektor has in fact been treated to such a glorious death - "...while you still lived for me you were dear to the gods, and even / in the stage of death they cared about you still." (24. 749-750) This statement from Hekabe references to the provoking of the highest love from the gods through her son's death - an element that pertains to this idea of the beautiful death. The fact that Hektor is in his prime - has a family, is at full potential of his strength as demonstrating in both is fighting and valor, we see that he is honored with hebe - death in the flower of youth. Since Hektor's burial shows the audience how many people he left behind, including his young wife and child, it is reasonable to conclude that Hektor died an early death - yet a glorious. However, what is most important of this beautiful death is the fact that Hektor dies lovely because of his selflessness in defending his people and his honorable decision of not allowing his city fall even though who could have decided to remain with his wife in idleness.

Ultimately, it all comes down to Hektor's burial as the defining moment in the Iliad when Hektor's virtues are highlighted to compare precisely why he receives the beautiful death and, most importantly, why he deserves it. Achilleus' anger throughout the epic poem lets the audience reflect on the contrasting between one man's selfishness and another man's selflessness. While it is Achilleus' anger that leads to the death of Hektor, it is Hektor's noble reasons for fighting that actually allow him to have his beautiful death.

Home / Writing Feedback / Beautiful death of Hektor