Do we become used to bad news? Information in the world today.

moman_1031 1 / 1  
IELTS task 2: News editors decide what to broadcast on television and what to print in newspapers. What factors do you think influence these decisions? Do we become used to bad news? Would it be better if more good news was reported?

Nowadays is the world of information and every mass media try to inform their audiences and readers by any method. So, the role of individuals, who in charge of selecting and decide what we watch or read, is very important, because they can make inclination of their media in a particular subject. Editors are one of the mentioned person or by far the most important one in the process of broadcasting news.

For this reason, he/she should enjoy some remarkable trait which affect his/her main decisions.
In my point of view a new editor should have two main features, to be unbiased and have comprehensive knowledge about every reported subject (political, economy, sport, ...).

A new editor must be an unbiased person in order to make a confidence sense in their audience or readers, as you know, we are living in the information era and every people can easily distinguish each real an unbiased news from fake and distorted one. Therefore, editors should be careful not to meddle in their personal believes during selecting news procedure.

Another factor is vast knowledge of an editor about different aspect of news. When you have a comprehensive knowledge about any subject, you can properly make decision and have a good choice in broadcasting news. Furthermore, this feature of an editor causes to prevent of publishing and broadcasting less meaningful and distorted news.

Some people are of the opinion that every mass media must to broadcast only good news. In my opinion, these group of people don't want encounter with reality, because they think that, as they are facing with too much difficulties in everyday life, only good news must be broadcasted, their point of view is only fun and don't involve in reality of world.

In conclusion, these are a part of editor characteristics and there are many important features which could be investigated from different aspect. In addition, I personally believe, it is necessary to be a rational balance between good and bad new .

Please check my writing and give your comments! Thank you!
Bobo, this is a good attempt at addressing the topic of the prompt. The problem, is that there were more than a single question for you to address in the essay.Somehow, you forgot about the other questions and addressed only one aspect of the prompt and not in a very good manner. Your introduction did not really work because it did not restate the various questions posed in the prompt. As you know, restating the prompt is one of the most important parts of essay writing. So you need to go back to your introduction, review the prompt again, and then revise the introduction that you originally wrote accordingly.

When you were describing the news editor, you used a backslash to indicate male and female sexes. When faced with a gender dilemma simply use the term "person". That way the position becomes gender-less and politically correct to read. However, in the rules of writing, it is said that the default gender for a person in the English language is always "He". So whether the word "person" or "He" is used as a gender reference is up to you.

I was reviewing your essay and tried to find any reference to the questions; "Do we become used to bad news?" , and learned that this was not addressed at all in the essay. I believe that this happened because you concentrated too much on developing your response to " What factors do you think influence these decisions?" as it composed 90 percent of your essay/

Your conclusion is also inappropriate because you responded, quite quickly I might add, to the question: " Would it be better if more good news was reported?" in your closing statement. Avoid mentioning any new ideas or discussions in your closing statement because, as you can see in your work, you are now unable to properly discuss and address the various related topics to that discussion.

Aside from those comments about the weakness of your paper, it is also a grammatical mess at the moment. I believe that you wrote this in quite a rush, due to the time limit in the practice test, so you did not bother to proofread what you read. Please remember to always run spellcheck when writing an essay in order to check for misspellings. Then of course, there are the sentence structure problems that exist. Needless to say, a revision is in order for your essay.

Good luck with your revision.
OP moman_1031 1 / 1  
Thank you very much for you helpful and constructive comments. I'd really appreciate, and I try to implement your useful comment.

Home / Writing Feedback / Do we become used to bad news? Information in the world today.